Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Why the "import_usmarc_excludes.ph...

Help
schalldp
2009-11-25
2013-05-30
  • schalldp
    schalldp
    2009-11-25

I'm curious why certain MARC tags are excluded from importing. I couldn't figure out why the 010a LCCN tags I was trying to import were not being recognized until I noticed they were on the exclude list. Seemed strange to me since there is a place in the MARC edit form to edit the LC control number anyway. Can anyone tell me why the excludes? (Couldn't understand the 906 exclude either, since that tag should be available for local library use.)

• Fred LaPlante
    Fred LaPlante
    2009-11-25

Good question. My Lookup addon has provissions to search by LCCN and post it to the openbiblio bibli_fields table.  I just looked and I have a good many LCCN stored there. Field is present in the data entry screen too which is why I bothered to search for it. I assumed there was an interest, and in fact when I was cataloging our town older books, that was the only way I could locate some of them - a search for Sheakspere or 'Gone with the wind' is a bit too vague!

906 I am not familiar with, no entries in my database here at home.

This issue may be an artifact of an earlier version which didn't handle MARC codes as weel even as 0.6 does.  The coming ver1.0 (someday anyway) does a lot better job with MARC.

Fred LaPlante

• Thanks for the reply. I just removed the 010 tag from the excluded array, and everything worked fine.

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments