Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Export to MARC

Help
2009-01-20
2013-05-30
  • Hi,

I'm running an OpenBiblio 0.6 system, and need to export our catalogue to a MARC format file (UNIMARC, MARC21).

Any idea?

Thanks

• but there is no other way to export marc records?

• No, not directly within OpenBiblio. 

• How do you get at the OpenBiblio catalogue data in the first place?

• Fred LaPlante
        Fred LaPlante
        2009-08-19

Not a lot of information to work with here, but I will assume you want to create a MARC output file from an existing OpenBiblio database.

The process as implemented is really only set up to process a subset of the database. So you must search for each of the documents you wish to export and add them to the cart. Then you go to 'Reports'|'Item Cart' and create a list. You can then specify from the menu to produce a MARC file.

Fred LaPlante

• Fred LaPlante
      Fred LaPlante
      2009-08-19

OOPS!!!
      The process I just described is not in v0.6. I am working on parts of the newer v1.0 here and forgot it was all new work by someone else. Sorry about that.

Fred LaPlante

• Susan Mark
    Susan Mark
    2009-12-30

Fred - any more word on when MARC export might be available?

• Fred LaPlante
    Fred LaPlante
    2009-12-30

Not really. But we are beginning to alpha test ver 1.0 which has the process I described earlier.

Since no one else has expressed any particular interest in this matter, perhaps you would like to play with ver 1.0a, particularly that part of it, and help get it ready for distribution.  Ver 1.0 currently is useable, I use it here at home on a daily basis for my own small library of about 1200 volumes. But still it needs work. In particular there is not yet a mechanism to move existing ver 0.6 data into the ver 1.0 database structure.

If you are interested in participating in alpha testing ver 1.0, please let us know.

Fred LaPlante

• Susan Mark
    Susan Mark
    2009-12-30

Fred - I don't know how much used I'd be testing. I don't know PHP or SQL or anything beyond a smattering of HTML, really. What I'm trying to figure out w/OpenBiblio is if there will be a way that if they ever need to move their data into another system, that they won't have to recreate their data entirely.

• dwarfyray_gbe
    dwarfyray_gbe
    2009-12-30

I think that's an important feature for openbiblio… I just finished importing all records from our old LMS which uses MS Access as its database.. It took me about a month since I have to learn converting it to MARC files using MARCEdit.. I'm just worried how can I extract all the files I entered in it just to make a backup… Or what if a new version is released how can it be upgraded?

• dwarfyray_gbe
    dwarfyray_gbe
    2009-12-30

I'm willing to participate in testing the alpha version 1.0 of OpenBiblio… Where can I get a copy?

• kb0jpn
    kb0jpn
    2009-12-30

I too would be interested in testing alpha v1 of OpenBiblio.

• H. Schumacher
    H. Schumacher
    2009-12-30

If it is possible, I would also like to take part in the test team, especially for I18N tests.

Regards

Harald

• Fred LaPlante
    Fred LaPlante
    2010-01-05

Sorry to be so slow in responding. I didn't expect to hear from so many and I wanted to think how best to deal with this. Bear with me a bit while I explain what the current situation is.  The code version we are discussing is a 'fork' of work begun by Micah Stetson before he got pulled away by other work in mid-2009.  This 'fork' was intended to be a temporary thing while I integrated my Lookup code into the core. Subsequently, It has morphed into something more. So, download a copy, ply with it and form your own concluusions. If you find something that you feel should be improved or changed in some way, please post you feelings in the issues area. If you don't like what you see, just foget the whole thing.

New stuff:

- MARC export via the reports module
    - Lookup is integrated into the core
    - SRU protocol integrated into core, YAZ no longer needed
    - Existing items can be updateed with
    - online information Searches will  report status,  current location and    holder if item on loan

Broken Stuff:

- online functions do not support multiple 'subjects' (650a)
    - Lookup using YAZ protocol does not work well (but SRU works fine!)
    - See open items under the issues tab
    - No current means to copy legacy data to this version.
    - Not useable under IE

The most up to date code for OpenBiblio 1.0 is located in the following repository: https://bitbucket.org/flaplante/obiblio-10-wip/

You can download the entire package from the 'download' tab. Any problems, comments, etc can be posted within the 'issues' tab.

The code is useable as is, but is still very much a 'work in progress'. Some features are inoperative, some are clearly not finished, and in some places there is duplication of function.  Unlike previous releases, this one is highly dependent on JavaScript and several parts rely on AJAX technology. As a result your favorite browser may not work with it. I strongly recommend you use the latest release of FireFox together with the FireBug plugin.

Installation:

- create a directory called
       'obiblio-10-wip' where it can be
       found by your web server and insert
       this version there.
    - create a NEW database for obiblio10-wip (this version)
    - update the 'database_constants.php file
    - using your favorite mySQL tool, run the scripts
       'openbiblioTables.sql' and  'openbiblioData.sql' in that order.
    - Login and enter a few items under 'cataloging'
    - Enjoy.
    - List item

If you want to follow what others are doing with this work, be sure to click the 'follow' icon at the top of the repository page.

Fred LaPlante

• Marcel
    Marcel
    2013-04-17

Hello everybody!

I am using Openbiblio 0.7.1. Is there a way to export my files in MARC format?
    I haven't found the answer.

Thank you!

• 0.7.1 does not export to MARC directly, but you can export records from 0.7.1 to a text file and convert this file to MARC.

A report has been written that can be helpful for creating the textfile, the report works in versions 0.6.0 and higher. It isn't perfect, but it can be improved.
    https://bitbucket.org/mstetson/obiblio/issue/82/export-records-to-text-file

For creating MARC from textfiles, have a look at the MARC tools page at http://www.loc.gov/marc

• Marcel
    Marcel
    2013-04-22

Hello,

Thank you for your support. I'm gonna try!