Allow members to check out books themselves

Help
aardvarked
2014-02-12
2014-12-08
  • aardvarked
    aardvarked
    2014-02-12

Hi, apologies if I'm missing something obvious but I don't see any way of allowing members to check out books themselves. We're looking to run a small internal library and do not have the capacity to check out books for our staff, the idea would be they'll access the OPAC, find the book they want, click "check out" and then go and pick it up from storage.

Is this possible at all within OpenBiblio?

• Fred LaPlante
    Fred LaPlante
    2014-02-12

As currently written, checkouts can be done by those people included as 'staff' and given 'circulation' priveleges via the admin menu. Library patrons (in the public library sense, cnnnot). Also there is no checkout in the OPAC - that is really nothing but a card catalog. So if every church member you wish to be able to check out material was included in staff, then you can do it. But they will first have to login with an individual id and password (so the system knows who has the book), find the book they wish using the search function and then checkout with the specific id assigned to each book. Checkin can be done by anyone who has circulation privileges so that could be you rather than each 'member'

Fred

• aardvarked
    aardvarked
    2014-02-13

Thanks Fred, I thought that would be the case.

If you give staff members Circulation privileges does that mean they'll also be freely allowed to add/edit/delete records? I can see this being a bit of problem, it seems quite prone to user error!

• Fred LaPlante
    Fred LaPlante
    2014-02-13

Those with circulation privileges can NOT modify the catalog content in ANY way. That is restricted to catalog privileges only. Basically all they can do is check books in and out, place thigs on hold, etc.

By the way book checkout, or in, can only be done by book ID number. Not sure about ver 0.7, but in ver 1.0 beta you can have those assigned automatically as books are added to catalog. You would just have to place them on the book somewhere - our local public library writes them on the inside of the front cover. Ver 7.1 has a way to print bar codes to Avery labels, you can paste those to the jacket and then use a scanner to read them.

Fred

• In the past several community members offered a self service patch, but these have not been updated for the current release. So for a small library probably the best option is the workaround suggested by Fred. And to answer your second message; you need users that you can trust.

Last edit: Hans van der Weij 2014-02-13
    • Example: OpenBiblio staff user, access granted for circulation, not for cataloging.
      This user would be able to mess up circulation records for materials/copies and member records. But this user can not mess with the bibliography records (title records).

• Anonymous
    2014-12-06

lol

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments