Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

missing barcode font

Help
battn
2013-02-27
2013-11-27
  • battn
    battn
    2013-02-27

Just two days ago I could print labels but now my barcode font has disappeared.  Anyone know what could have happened? The spacing on the labels is also off.  I can usually print on Avery 8460 but now it is not aligned correctly. 

• Using Adobe Reader? The misalignment might be caused by a changed setting in the print dialog window.  When this is not set to print Actual size, you'll probably see vertical misalignment.
    I'm not  sure if the vertical compression can cause the barcode font to be invisible, so that might be a different issue.

• battn
    battn
    2013-02-28

Figured out that the Adobe Reader XI is the problem.  Adobe Reader X works fine.  I have Openbiblio 6.1.  Now I am wondering if we update to Openbiblio 7 if Adobe XI will work but quite frankly, I hate updating anything especially this time of year.  I work at a small private school and can't have things messed up right now.  

• battn
    battn
    2013-02-28

Also wondering if this is because we use Firefox.

• battn
    battn
    2013-03-01

This fixed our problem.  Thank you.

Check Firefox settings:
    1. At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox button and then select Options
    2. Select the Applications panel.
    3. Find Adobe Acrobat Document (if you're using Adobe Reader) or PDF files (for other PDF readers) in the list and click on it to select it.
    4. Click on the drop-down arrow in the Action column for the above entry and select Use PDF reader name (in Firefox).
    5. Click OK to close the Options window

• Thanks for pointing out this issue with Firefox 19 and also for the instructions how to deal with it. Adobe Reader XI is not to blame, as you confirmed in private communication.

The new Built-in PDF viewer feature in Firefox 19 caused confusion for both of us.
    http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/19.0/releasenotes/

I think the Firefox PDF viewer should modestly say it's just a preview. For some reason the built-in viewer doesn't understand the barcode font, or that displaying barcodes is triggered with * (asterisk) start and stop signs. Problems with font rendering should not be a complete surprise for the developers of the PDF viewer.  As a matter of fact: the setting you are referring to in Firefox Options Applications panel is called preview!

• mariah
    mariah
    2013-11-27

Post awaiting moderation.