Help
pablo
2012-12-16
2013-05-30
  • pablo
    pablo
    2012-12-16

Hi,
    I'm triyng to install Lookup2 to work with OB 0.7.1 The thing is that I've followed all the installations steps and everything seems to be ok (menus, lists of servers, options etc.) However, lookup search does not work. Namely, it does not find any result -and I've tried every possible options, ISBN, title, etc. If I choose Yaz protocol I get the message "Looking for Keyword anywhere 'whatever' using the YAZ protocol at :" and the search never ends. If I use the SRU protocol I get the same message and search ends right away but returns no results… Any idea of what could be going on?
    Thanks a lot in advance for all your help.

• Fred LaPlante
    Fred LaPlante
    2012-12-16

I do not use 0.71 much, but just tried a search for 'PHP' as a title at US LoC using SRU.
    I got back 25 hits so code does seem to be working for me.

To go further I need some info from you.
    Name of repository you are trying.
    A title you are having no success with.

Can be useful to know where in the world you are located (so I have an idea of when it makes sense to attempt to communicate with you). I am located in the central part of the State of Maine, USA, which makes me 5 hours west of GMT.

Fred LaPlante
    Lookup author

• pablo
    pablo
    2012-12-16

Hi Fred,
    thanks for answering so fast. I fixed the issue; the problem was that the repositories I selected (the spanish ones: biblioteca nacional, bibliotecas del csic, biblioteca de la rioja y biblioteca de Castilla y Leon) don't work. Once I selected US library of congress repository it started working. But I need some repositories from Spain's libraries if possible, cause most of our books are spanish editions.
    In any case, it seems that search in LOC seem to work only by title.  Seach by title+author doen's seem to give results (even though I write the author exactly as it apperars searching by title) e.g Search by title "Structural functions of harmony" gives results, but if I include author "Schoenberg" it gives no results.
    I'm in Madrid, GMT+1
    Thanks a lot for your help and for your work.
    Pablo

• Fred LaPlante
    Fred LaPlante
    2012-12-17

There is a similar problem with some repositories in Scotland.  They use a form of SRU that returns strictly without the MARC tags. So I have no way to determine what the response contains. It is also possible that they are using a 'context' other than the default 'dublin'. 

You need to contact one, or all, of them you wish to use to determine what the currently required parameters are for each of them if you want to use SRU. I would do it myself, but my Spanish is not nearly as good as your english; 2 years study 60 years ago was not enough!  All of the repositories I have included are from other users that were successful at some time in the past.  But I have not tried to keep them current.  If you do find parameters that work for any repositories, please send them to me so I can update the list.

You will be better off with YAZ and 3950, if they support it.  SRU is primarily a keyword search which includes titles. I notice that a search for 'Schoenberg' as a keyword does get 25 hits, but none return the Harmony book.

I just tried the search using v1.0a that I use regularly and it works both with and without an author specified. So perhaps there is a bug in the 0.71 version.  I will look into that and get back to you if I have any success.

Fred

• pablo
    pablo
    2012-12-17

Fred,
    thanks a lot for your help. I will happily contact the libraries to ask about this problem, and I can even try to get some more, but I would need you  to tell me what should I ask them for. My knowledge about SRU, YAZ, 3950, 'context' and 'dublin' and search repositories is nonexistent! What info do we need? And as soon as I get that info, I will send it to you.
    Thanks a lot

• Fred LaPlante
    Fred LaPlante
    2012-12-17

The starting point is to go to www.bibliotecas.jcyl.es or the equivilent for the other libraries and look for information about remote access.  I saw a couple of links to what I suppose are services available, but my poor spanish is not good enough to go much further.  What you want to look for is specifications for searching via the internet.  US LoC has a web site for just that, perhaps the above site has too. Take a look at http://www.loc.gov/z3950/ - It is a list of all repositories in the world having remote access via the z39.50 standard (including SRU). Under B you will find links for
    Biblioteca de Castilla y León-Valladolid, Spain (Baratz)
    Biblioteca Virtual Miguel de Cervantes - Alicante, Spain
    among others.

The first library is not responding at this time, but the second does.  It produces a search form much like the US LoC does. Looking at the page source (using the FireFox browser's 'view source' function) it appears that is does a Z39.50 search. However the wiki page for them says it only supports XML/TEI which I am not familiar with.

The guy in Scotland simply called the British Library and asked for information on how to access their holdings via z39.50. He was given a link to a web page with all the details. You might try the same thing.  For z39.50, the important things are the url, database name, and any id/password needed.  For SRU, you need the url, the context, schema, and id/password.

By the way is your copy of Openbiblio running on a Windows or Linux machine?  And what version or distribution are you using?  This is most important for using YAZ.

Fred

• Fred LaPlante
    Fred LaPlante
    2012-12-17

Pablo,
    I have a temporary fix for you.  This works fine with LoC with title & author, it will not work with any of the other search options.  I will need to do more testing for those and get a new set of code out for that. It MAY NOT work with any other repository.  SRU is still a work in progress and many repositories are using contexts and formats of their own. Once we find out what your repository of choice wants, we can determine what will have to be adjusted.

Go to the Admin tab of OpenBiblio and select 'Lookup Hosts'.
    Then click the 'edit' button for US LoC entry.
    Change the context entry to "dc".
    Click Update.

In file …/lookup2/lookupSrchVals.php, near line 55 find and modify code to look like this:
    #### Second search criteria line
    if (!empty($lookupVal2)) {
    if ($srchBy2 == "1004") {
    $srchByName2 = 'Author';
    //$sruQry2 = "$sruContext.NamePersonal=/bib.role=author/bib.roleAuthority=marcrelator ";
    $sruQry2 = "$sruContext.author=";
    } else if ($srchBy2 == "1016") {
    $srchByName2 = 'Keyword';
    $sruQry2 = "$sruContext.subject=";
      }
    $lookupVal2 = '"' . $lookupVal2 . '"';
    }

Fred

• pablo
    pablo
    2012-12-19

Fred,
    hi again. I'm getting a lot of information about Z3950 servers, but now my fear is that I think that the yaz protocol option doesn't work correctly (at least for me) :(. Could you please point me a repository out of the ones listed and a search term that produces results for you? Supposedly, "Red de Bibliotecas del CSIC" should work with the standard settings -I've checked with them-, but it doesn't work for me :(, and none of the other repositories seem to work via YAZ either (search never ends). That's why I fear there is something wrong with that.
    Thanks a lot for your time. And millions of thanks for the patch you've sent me! I really apreciate it.
    Pablo

• pablo
    pablo
    2012-12-19

Fred,
    sorry for the mistake; the correct server for Bibliotecas del CSIC is aleph.csic.es:9909/MAD01 It has changed from 'pino' to 'aleph'; the rest of the parameters remain equal. I downloaded yaz-client and a query like' borges' returns 584 hits, but OpenBiblio search never ends… I hope this gives you some more information.
    Kind regards.

• Fred LaPlante
    Fred LaPlante
    2012-12-20

Having a bit of trouble getting my head back to 0.7.1

You have to select the protocol to use in the 'Lookup Options' screen under the Admin tab.  It is then in effect for all hosts you might choose to use.  Ver 1.0 doesn't work that way so I was confused.  For YAZ, you need to know the database to use, plus any user id and password. Also the host url and port may be different for YAZ than it is for SRU.

So with YAZ selected under Options, I chose the LoC host since I know it works with YAZ.  I used a title of 'Programing PHP' and got 4 hits.

So try Loc to see if YAZ is working for you.  I assume to have verified that you do have YAZ correctly installed and that it shows up in phpInfo.

I also tried a title of 'PHP' and the Australia library with YAZ and got 23 hits, so it's not just a LoC thing.
    I got 2808 hits for 'borges' at LoC, but nothing at Australia.

Fred

• pablo
    pablo
    2012-12-20

Fred,
    definitely, YAZ is not working via Lookup for me. Searchig LOC for' PHP' with YAZ never ends the search. Using SRU returns 25+ hits in 4-5 seconds, so something is clearly wrong.
    What do you mean with "YAZ is correctly installed"? I installed the pacakge yaz and yaz-client works OK via command line, connecting to servers and returning results.
    My phpinfo.php shows a zillion lines… What am I looking for? (ctrl-F for yaz or z39.80 gives me no matches)
    And BTW, is it possible to get OB 1.0? Or is it just available to developers for the moment?
    Cheers,
    Pablo

• Fred LaPlante
    Fred LaPlante
    2012-12-20

First YAZ:
    When YAZ is correctly installed it will show up in phpInfo near the bottom. It looks something like this
    yaz
    YAZ Support enabled
    PHP/YAZ Version 1.1.4
    YAZ Version 4.2.47
    Compiled with YAZ version 4.2.44

You haven't told me what OS you are using for OB. Installation varies - a lot!!!.  Downloading YAZ is not enough, it has to be made a part of PHP.  As a minimum that requires that the php configuration file have the proper line activated.  If you search that file for YAZ, there are comments to help you.  I believe that Lookup2 had an install file with an outline of how to get YAZ going for Windows.  The authors of YAZ, IndexData.com has useful info on installation for various OS as well.

In my own case I have OB running on a LINUX box using Ubuntu 12.10.  For Ubuntu, it is a matter of adding indexdata to the apt-get config then using 'apt-get install YAZ', and Ubuntu will automatically keep it current as well.  I know the Dominican Church of Ireland has it installed in Windows, and the guy I mentioned in Scotland has it running in a different version of Linux.  Dificulty depends on your comfort level with computers I guess.

In any case, until YAZ shows up in PHP-info, you can not use it.  FYI, the main reason for adding SRU as a choice was because of the difficulty of getting YAZ running.  But it is well worth the effort as the search capability is dramatically better. 

Second OB v1.0wip:
    Version 1.0 is a 'work in progress', hence the 'wip' or alpha designation.  It is in use here at home and at the Dominican Library in Ireland (One of the original developers worked there while attending classes at Trinity College).  The code is available to anyone that want it, but the installation facility will not upgrade an existing OB database.  You can download it from "bitbucket.org/mstetson/obiblio-10-wip".   The best approach to that is to first install a copy of 'Mercuria'l or 'TortoiseHg' or your OB server and then use it to clone the code onto your box.  That will make it much easier to get updates or fixes when available.

Like with YAZ, there is some effort in getting it working the first time, but I think you will find the user interface improved, and Lookup is integrated into it, not an add-on. It also has facilities for adding user developed plug-in additions and adding translations is much simpler.  But is is really only practical for a new OB installation. You cannot easily move a ver 0.7 or earlier database to ver 1.0.  The original author made dramatic changes in the database to make it a true MARC21 database which then makes it easier to move to or from other commercail library packages.  Personnaly, I use it for my own 1300 volume library and I would never go back to using earlier versions.

Fred LaPlante
    Author of Lookup and principal developer of ver 1.0wip

• pablo
    pablo
    2012-12-22

Fred,
    thanks a lot-once more! For the moment, I think I'll set aside OB 1.0 and stick to 0.71 =)
    Concerning the YAZ issue, I'm on ubuntu 12.04, and I've installed yaz (sudo apt-get install YAZ), but the problem seems to be that it is not part of php. phpinfo says nothing about yaz, and it also says that the config file is /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini , but there are no commented lines there about yaz. Searching google I found that the line 'extension=yaz.so' should be included, but that does not seem to work… Do you have any sugestion?
    Thanks a lot!!!

• Fred LaPlante
    Fred LaPlante
    2012-12-22

OK, understand about 1.0, it is a bit much.

Regarding YAZ, since php is a module of Apache, you have to restart Apache to get any php.ini changes to be effective. 
    You can either restart Ubuntu, or simply do 'sudo apache2ctl restart', or 'sudo service apache2 restart' whichever you like.
    YAZ should then appear in PHP-info

Fred

• pablo
    pablo
    2013-01-22

Fred,
    I apologize for not answering your last post until now. Christmas got on my way, and after that I've been terribly busy with work!
    In any case, i just wanted to tell you that I finaly couldn't make yaz work via php =(. It works via terminal, however. I guess I didn't modify the php.ini file correctly or maybe it is some other issue; who knows. In any case, I wanted to thank you for all the help and hints you have given me.
    Kind regards!

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments