How to add multiple library branch locations?

Help
2011-06-29
2013-05-30
  • Rohit Singh
    Rohit Singh
    2011-06-29

Hello all,

I am having three different library branches, but in the ADMIN section we can add only one library, How to add multiple library branch locations in openbiblio, looking forward for your kind reply?

Regards
    Rohit Singh

• Rohit Singh
    Rohit Singh
    2011-07-02

Hi,

can anyone suggest for the solution of the above, i am being waiting for the long time, please suggest for any solution?

• Anonymous
    2012-05-23

Hello, I have the same issue; we want to have a search that searches in multiple small but specialized libraries actually but that are working on one project; thus the location is crucial. can you please help us at least with suggestions how this should be done in code and where to associate this in the db if there is no out-of-the-box solution?!

• I see three options. There is no ideal solution, but we can work on this.

Our 10-wip code branch offers support for multiple library locations. (Haven't used it myself.)
    Pro
    * We're supposed to move to the 10-wip branch in the future (although it hasn't been decided when and how)
    Con
    * Not all 0.x branch features are supported in 10-wip.
    * Issues solved in 0.7.1 are not yet solved in 10-wip code branch.
    * There is not yet an automated way to upgrade an 0.x database to 10-wip

Connector for harvesting a database into other systems.
    Pro
    * Other systems can offer better performance than is currently possible with OpenBiblio, allowing bigger databases.
    * Infrastructure for writing this type of connector is already available in OpenBiblio 0.6.x and 0.7.x.
    * The connector code could be modified to work for OpenBiblio 1.0
    Con
    * There is no working code yet
    * Other systems might have different system requirements
    * If OpenBiblio 1.0 is ready and supports multiple library locations as you require, than you might prefere to drop the other system and convert back to OpenBiblio.

And the option you suggest:

can you please help us at least with suggestions
    how this should be done in code and where to associate this in the db if there
    is no out-of-the-box solution?!

I don't recommend this because it can be a problem for future upgrades. Besides, I don't have any ideas about this, except the code we already have in 10-wip.

• Anonymous
    2012-05-27

Um, well, i had an idea, im not sure its logical, but it seems so to me. if we add a custom field for copies, lets call it location or library. and thus this makes sense assosiating the location with the copy; but then somehow every bibliography should be defined as copy and search would be based on copies (which is also interesting, where one could have biblio info for content that is not aquired by the library; a loose usage i guess, but might be interesting)

• Anonymous
    2012-05-27

i pulled a copy of 10-wip; to start with, adding a site fails : 'undefined' is not a valid action button id

when pressing the add button. so, well, im not sure how to get even that working.

I'm willing to use 10-wip as this is a new project. thus  "There is not yet an automated way to upgrade an 0.x database to 10-wip" is ok; if i can get it working .

• Fred LaPlante
    Fred LaPlante
    2012-05-28

Hi,
    I am the maintainer for ver 1.0wip.
    Indeed the 'add site' seems to be broken. I will look into this and get back to you asap.
    You might want to re-open this thread on the wip site to keep all this stuff together and avoid annoying 0.x users.

Fred LaPlante

• Fred LaPlante
    Fred LaPlante
    2012-05-28

Site problem has been fixed and updated code is now available at the 10-wip repository.
    Let me know if you have any more problems.

Fred LaPlante

• The following are workarounds for the most import issues not yet solved in 10-wip.

* When searching only use words that OpenBiblio can find as a phrase in one subfield, otherwise results can be incomplete.
    * Don't delete custom fields (custom copy fields, etc.) because the data that is entered in these fields is not deleted.

• Anonymous
    2012-06-05

Hello, Can i modify this issue a little; i'm trying to see what can be done and as i did some changes how to integrate them with openbiblio if they are desired.

Would a location field be desired? a location is not really a seperate library; its a set of predefined values (such as first floor; second floor) or rooms when libraries are a bit scattered; it would also make sense for home libraries if someone wants to open it up for the public; is this a sane feature? i also think its easy to implement and i already did some coding that would help doing so. let me know what you think!

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments