Different locale on the OPAC page?

Marie
2010-12-06
3 days ago
  • Marie
    Marie
    2010-12-06

Would it be possible in a future release for the user of the OPAC site to choose language? I would like to have Swedish, English and French on our site. When I started translating OpenBiblio for real the other day, I saw that this might be a big problem since the translation has to be done in the sql files themselves…

Sister Marie

• Fred LaPlante
    Fred LaPlante
    2010-12-06

Hi,
    What specifically are you trying to translate.  MOST of the visible text for OpenBiblio is stored in the locale files. Lookup has its own set of .trans files that you can modify. 

Ooops!! I just checked and there are LOTS of things in the *_dm files that need translation.  That's possible using phpMyadmin, but I think I'd make a complete backup copy of those files first. But that would still limit you to a single language.  For what you are asking there would have to be a set of tables for each of your languages perhaps with a suffix like collection_dm_en, etc., and the proper set would need to be determined dynamically since you might have users of all your languages on line at the same time.  Sounds like a lot of work, but doable if someone has the time or money.

Fred LaPlante

• AlexRayne
    AlexRayne
    3 days ago

Hallow here https://bitbucket.org/alexrayne/obiblio is a fork of OB with Multilingual UI - you can install multiple languages and switch UI between them

Last edit: AlexRayne 3 days ago