Separating design and programmation

2011-04-13
2013-05-30
  • ernestortiz
    ernestortiz
    2011-04-13

Hi, I am doing a huge task with openbiblio project, since last week: separating the styling from the programming (hope to finish it the next month). The idea behind this is to control with pure CSS their "look and feel" and  add the possibility to embbed it easily into another PHP project (as joomla, wordpress, drupal, etc.) or simple HTML page. I am using jQuery a lot to do requests, so it will be a kind of "themed" and "ajaxed" OpenBiblio. As soon as a decent version will be ready I will upload it here, for the real expertises to deal with.

I read in this forum about the new OpenBIblio 0.7, so I was wondering myself if such or similar idea will be implemented. And, where to download beta version of OpenBiblio 0.7, if it exists now?

Thanks in advance.

• Micah Stetson
    Micah Stetson
    2011-04-13

This is very cool. I'm glad you're doing this work. 0.7 is not a major change, it's more of a bugfix release. You can download the unreleased version here:

https://bitbucket.org/mstetson/obiblio/downloads

You want the tip snapshot.

Joe Hagerty (revjoe@users.sourceforge.net) is working on OpenBiblio quite a bit more than I am these days, you might want to talk to him directly about what you're doing.

Micah

• ernestortiz
    ernestortiz
    2011-04-13

Thanks for your answer, Micah. I found that link after a few researchs right here (sorry for an almost elemental question). In fact I installed the one you suggest and the obiblio fork 1.0 too. In both cases I get an error message, so I surrendered soon and back to my 0.6.1 (current) version, were I have (maybe) the 20% of the work finished.

I am happy about your concern on this project, Micah. Please, let about three weeks before upload it here (probably as another fork).

Regards,
    ernesto

• Micah Stetson
    Micah Stetson
    2011-04-14

I know 1.0 isn't really usable, but I'm interested to know what went wrong with your 0.7 installation.

Micah

• ernestortiz
    ernestortiz
    2011-04-14

I reinstall again the 0.7 and is working well.

But I remember I had a problem when copy the spanish translation files to locale folder. Maybe I was testing another version by mistake, because now it works very well (except, of course, the problem with UTF-8 characters).

I'm glad that you are right; sorry for my error…

It could be possible, Micah, to know what files exactly was changed in 0.7 version compared to the previous one?
    e.

• Micah Stetson
    Micah Stetson
    2011-04-16

Mercurial is your friend:

hg clone http://bitbucket.org/mstetson/obiblio/
    cd obiblio
    hg diff -stat -r REL_0.6.1

That will show you every file that's changed since REL_0.6.1. The two biggest groups of changed files came from upgrading Selenium Core and moving the schema definitions to a new directory. Most of the other changes are summarized in the ChangeLog file, but the command above will tell you exactly where to look in the source.

You might also like this:

hg log -r REL_0.6.1:

That will show you the hg log messages for every change since 0.6.1 (don't forget the colon).

Hope that helps,

Micah

• ernestortiz
    ernestortiz
    2011-04-18

Well, I installed Mercurial on (I beg your pardon) Windows and wrote "Learn to use Hg." in my highest priority TO-DO list.

Thanks Micah,

Ernesto

• Micah Stetson
    Micah Stetson
    2011-04-18

I didn't mean to sound anti-windows. Those commands do work from a windows command line, as long as hg is in your path. TortoiseHG also lets you do the same stuff from a Windows GUI, I'm just not as familiar with it.

Micah

• Otuoma Sanya
    Otuoma Sanya
    2012-03-24

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask but our librarians need both the author and title to appear on the barcode label, which files do i need to edit to achieve this? Also wanted to know if you used any php framework, am familiar with codeigniter but OB does not look like it. Thanks

• Don't hesitate to add a new topic for new questions.

You have customize a layout. First choose a layout from /openbiblio/layouts/default/ and put a copy of this file in the directory for your custom layouts: /openbiblio/layouts/
    The filename should be "label"
    Change the line starting with

class Layout_... {

into

class Layout_labels {

Now you can make the changes requested by the librarians.
    The copies report /openbiblio/reports/defs/copies.rpt already queries biblio.author, so you don't have to change that and you can simply use author the way title is used in the layout.

Before you do this, have a look at version 0.7.1: new label layouts have been added, the default label is changed.

I don't think we've used any framework for developing the 0.x branch. That might change in the future, but I think we would not want the system requirements to change much.

• ayryq
    ayryq
    2012-03-25

To otuomasanya , I've found it easier to make a custom report and make labels in some other program. I use Brother P-Touch software, but I think MS Excel can do it too.

• suhas
    suhas
    2013-04-04

need help…………..

i want to add new field in circulation/new member form i.e "select input for branch" like "classification".on form  i have added new field like branch . but problem is occuring while inserting values in member table. i have also changed structure of member table by adding new column i.e branch….also changed in insert query by adding branch column….but its showing error  i.e ) Unknown column 'branch' in 'field list'