Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Search and connect the robot

Help
Pollo
2013-02-14
2013-04-29
  • Pollo
    Pollo
    2013-02-14

Hi!

I haven't exactly understood how does the functionality "Search and connect the robot" work.

When I click on the button, the icon "connected?" does not change. This way I'm not able to test anything on the simulator.

Thank you for your help!
    Pollo

• Knefel
    Knefel
    2013-02-15

The Menu bar of the nxcEditor contains the entries "nxcSimulator" and "Robot". The menu "Robot" contains functions for the NXT brick and the menu "nxcSimulator" contains functions for the simulator.
    The function "Search and connect the robot" comes from the menu "Robot" and is used to locate a NXT brick. If the search is successful, the name of the NXT brick, the memory usage and the battery level are displayed and the icon "connected" changes. The nxcSimulator starts with the current program of the nxcEditor when the left "play button" is clicked (the right "play button" and the two icons beside are used for the NXT brick ). 

• Pollo
    Pollo
    2013-02-18

Thank you for your reply! I was confused because I didn't understand that those options were for the NXT brick.

Ok, so now I relize that my problems are not related to this option, but still I'm not able to run my programs in the simulator.
    If I run the simulator with the default background everything is fine, but after having selected another background I cannot run a program. When I press on start program nothing happens…

What should I do?

Thank  you!
    Matteo

• Knefel
    Knefel
    2013-02-18

I suspect that the problem is related to the driver for the graphics card.

Please start the nxcEditor and open the nxcSimulator from the menu (click on "nxcSimulator" -> click on "Open nxcSimulator"). Now click on "Start program" - the robot should write "NXC" very fast on the black screen. If this doesn't work (the robot is slow for example) then you have to install another driver for the graphics card with 3D support (or you have to activate this support - the nxcSimulator needs OpenGL). It's possible to test the 3D support with the program glxgears inside a Terminal.

You may try to zoom the area for the simulator until you reach "-10" - if the graphics card is the problem then your NXC program may work with a very small robot.

• Pollo
    Pollo
    2013-02-18

The test you have suggested works fine! The robot writes "NXC" fast.

Everything is ok before I select another background. With the default background, the black one, my program is executed. When I select another background the simulator does not execute my programs…

• Knefel
    Knefel
    2013-02-18

Repeat the test with different backgrounds.

If it works, run the NXC program from the editor with the play button.

If the NXC program is not running, please write the program here in the forum, if it is not too long (and the background with which it does not work). Some more information would be helpful now:
    - which Linux is used (Version?)
    - which version of the nxcEditor
    - Live CD?
    - USB stick?
    - VMware Image?
    - VirtualBox Image?

• Pollo
    Pollo
    2013-02-18

The test works only with the black background.

If I launch the editor, then I start the simulator and select another background (for example the white one) the test fails. I press start program and the NXC does not move.

I'm using the VMware Image in Windows…

• Knefel
    Knefel
    2013-02-19

The VMware Image only works with the latest version from www.vmware.com (there is no OpenGL support in the old versions)!

Which VMware version are you using? Windows 2000?, XP?, Vista?, Windows 7? Which processor is in your computer?
    Is there 3D support for the graphic card in Windows?

• Pollo
    Pollo
    2013-02-19

I'm running the VMware Player version 5.0.1 (the last one). I'm on Window 7, the processor is an Intel i7 and I have the 3d support.

I cannot understand why with the black background everything works fine but when I change it the NXT doesn't move any more… I cannot figure out what the problem could be…

Thank you for your help and time!

• Pollo
    Pollo
    2013-02-19

Ah ok.. Maybe the problem is that I'm using the VMware Player? I do not have the Workstation version…

• Knefel
    Knefel
    2013-02-19

I will make a test with a computer configuration that matches your configuration. BTW: I've only used the VMware Player! It would be good if I would test with a NXC program that does not work for you. Please send me (in this forum) a small program that does not work with the simulator.

• Pollo
    Pollo
    2013-02-19

Ok, thanks!

I'm not able to run even very simple programs… For example:

task main()
    {
      OnFwd(OUT_AC,75);
      Wait(2000);
      Off(OUT_AC);
    }

• Knefel
    Knefel
    2013-02-20

I've finished the test. You should reduce the framerate of the simulator. Open the "Help -> Correct display-bugs" menu of the simulator and choose "40" for the framerate (mark the check box and this will be the default value). Now run your program. You may test other values (50, 60) …

• Pollo
    Pollo
    2013-02-22

This solved the problem! Thank you for you help!