nuSOAP with PHP 4

Help
Ray Zeller
2009-12-10
2013-06-06
  • Ray Zeller
    Ray Zeller
    2009-12-10

Currently, we have PHP 4 installed on our server.  I wanted to use nuSOAP but am reluctant to make operations on our webpage reliant on a remote server as opposed to our own server.  I realize that if I wanted to install SOAP locally, we would have to upgrade to PHP 5, which we may do in the future.  I was wondering how reliable nuSOAP is, etc.  Is the service ever unavailable?

• Tony Gravagno
    Tony Gravagno
    2009-12-10

Have a look around at all the requests for help in this forum. There are few solutions, only questions. When something doesn't work, you're stuck with it because no one is maintaining it anymore. If you can deal with that, then it's great software. If you can't, then you may need to look elsewhere.

I'm sorry, I love NuSOAP but IMO this is a dead project. It hasn't been updated in over 2 years. For anyone who disagrees, c'mon, what's the definition of a dead project? Few people who use this software have the skills (that's me) or interest in updating it. Almost everyone here just wants to use it because it's free, not because it's open. That's typical of the OSS market, and like tens of thousands of other SF projects, this one happens to have died on the vine for lack of contributions and developer burnout.

Maybe someone will turn that around, but until then, I wouldn't put this software into any critical application unless you're prepared to pay someone to maintain it. And in case there's any lash-back on that - Free means you're free to pay someone to maintain it, it's not "completely free of cost". Ideally, people here would offer to pay someone to maintain the software and then give the contributions back to the project for everyone to benefit. If just a small percentage of the people using it (as we see in this forum) did that, this would be a really outstanding package. C'est la vie. YMMV

• Ray Zeller
    Ray Zeller
    2009-12-10

thanks for the input

• Graham Miller
    Graham Miller
    2009-12-10

You can write a SOAP server and SOAP client using NuSoap. You just need to write the software to suite. You can view it as a replacement for PHP 5 soap. If you want to access data housed remotely using soap calls (client program), then NuSoap can do this too.

However, gravagno is somewhat correct in saying this project is not very alive. There is not much need for it any more now that PHP5 has soap built in.

There are a few helpers left, but if you are going to develop your own server and client software, I'd do it in PHP5 rather than NuSoap. Only reason to use NuSoap is if PHP4 is the only option for you on one of your systems requiring soap services.