Duplicate IP em1 em1 nst 2.15, FC15 is key

NST
vagab0nd
2011-10-18
2012-12-05
  • vagab0nd
    vagab0nd
    2011-10-18

Passing along a band-aid to help with hardware based installs of NST 2.15.  I would be interested in knowing if other people experienced any similar problems and if this band-aid helped them.

Short story:
    Despite the new FC15 feature of “consistent device naming”, add ifcfg-ethx entries for all your NICS ala the following; to avoid static IP addresses mysteriously getting duplicated on other interfaces:
    DEVICE=ethx
    BOOTPROTO=none
    ONBOOT=no

The onboot parameter choice seems to be ignored, so a value of yes or no still results in an active NIC.

Long story
    The problem is that,  at boot time on a HP Proliant, em1 ends up with the same IP address as em2. em1 is not listed with NetworkManger and /etc/network/interfaces does not exist. Em1 operates as expected with ifdown em1;ifup em1; but that does not provide a bootable solution.  In fact that the down/up to be done at the local console.

The band-aid noted above did work.

Measures that did NOT work for a bootable solution:

unique ifcfg-em1 in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts (even with HWADDR!) per http://24.97.150.195/nstwiki/index.php/Hard_Disk_Install_Setup_Tips
    DEVICE=em1
    BOOTPROTO=none
    ONBOOT=yes

ifdown and up of em1 in rc.local

ifcfg-em1 entry of onboot=no

running nstpostupdate after patching via yumex

ifdown and up of em1 in rc.last (not a convention in Fedora that I know of; but it is available in SUSE, so I gave it a try)

The ifcfg-em2 entry (slightly redacted) is:

DEVICE=em2
    BOOTPROTO=static
    IPADDR=aaa.bbb.ccc.102
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    NETWORK=aaa.bbb.ccc.0
    BROADCAST=aaa.bbb.ccc.255
    HWADDR=macaddress (this was included and excluded in testing)
    GATEWAY=aaa.bbb.ccc.1
    ONBOOT=yes
    DNS1=aaa.bbb.ccc.242
    DNS2=208.67.222.222
    DOMAIN=this.that.something

What is ALSO very puzzling  is that while udev is renaming eth0 and eth1 per:
    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ConsistentNetworkDeviceNaming

…. apparently it does not always rename them the same in any given reboot per dmsg inspection of booting the HP Proliant; yet the result of em1 being the probe interface always ends up being correct.  I guess it is supposed to according to the previous URL, but it makes things pretty confusing.

V
    '