Nessus Client

NST
Chad G
2004-11-19
2012-12-05
  • Chad G
    Chad G
    2004-11-19

I'm trying to use the nessus client in v1.2.0 (first thread at 1.2.0).  What user name do I provide???

If I we're to use the web client it says root and PASS however if I try that, I get a login error.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!!!

• This is a very good question. Nessus is one of the utilities which uses a clear text password. As a result, its password is not set when the 'nstpasswd' script is run, but is instead declared as the NSTCTPASSWD variable found in /etc/nst.conf.

You can run the following command to see it (either from the command line or by using the "Run Command" utility found in the NSTWUI):

/bin/grep NSTCTPASSWD /etc/nst.conf

If you want a different password, you need to edit this file BEFORE using the NST scripts to start up nessus.

I've noticed that nessus seems to be filling up my '/' RAM disk with a lot of files under /var/nessus (I started the nessus server from the NST web interface). Once '/' fills up this go badly on a NST probe. This seems to occur when remote plug-ins are downloaded and the nessus server is started with the default options from the NST WUI. I'm still looking into it.