Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Plugins for Nessus

NST
AJAY
2004-11-23
2012-12-05
  • AJAY
    AJAY
    2004-11-23

I am starting nessus with the command nessusd_start -p remote to download latest plugins.  These download sucessfully but when I perform a scan on a host I get less information with the 'latest' downloaded plugins than I do if I start with the local plugins. 

For example my mail server is correctly identified as Trend IMSS with the local plugins but with the remote plugins it thinks it is a SendMail SMTP server - incorrect.  Also my Citrix servers are not picked up with the remote plugins but are picked up with the local plugins.  Can somebody pleae help?!

Many Thanks in advance

AJ

• We just use the nessus-update-plugins script which looks like it should pull the latest version from:

http://www.nessus.org/nasl/all-2.0.tar.gz

We don't control the Nessus web site. You may want to stick with the local plug-ins until Nessus releases the next version.

Paul

• Well AJ found a bug with NST's implementation and misunderstanding of setting up the nessus plugins.

So until the next release of NST do the following for the latest plugins..

1) First use the local plugins...

/usr/local/sbin/start_nessusd -p local -v

2) Then manually update the plugins from the
      nessus site:

export TEMPDIR=/dev/shm
      /usr/local/sbin/nessus-update-plugins

This should bring the nessus plugin count upto around 5680 plugins...

---Ron Henderson

• AJAY
      AJAY
      2004-11-24

Thanks very much for the help.

Regards

AJ

• megawatt
      megawatt
      2004-11-26

I'm having issues that might also be related.  Loading the local plugins gets me about 1500 or so, and loading with the remote gets me over 2400. 

If I load local and then try to running nessus-update-plugins -v I get some updates but I also see all kinds of errors from tar:
      "tar: plugin_name.inc Cannot open: no space left on device."  I guess this explains the reason for the export TEMPDIR=/dev/shm above.

I am using 1.0.6, is this still an issue in 1.2.0?

• megawatt:

I worked with Renaud Deraison creator of nessus and he had a issue with the nessus-update-plugins
      repository. Should be corrected now.

Note: In the upcoming maintenance release of NST (v1.2.1) we have reworked the startup_nessusd script which should handle nessus plugin updates more gracefully...

---Ron Henderson