Updating NST virtual machine

NST
4evernoob
2011-03-31
2012-12-05
  • 4evernoob
    4evernoob
    2011-03-31

I am running system on vsphere4 and I installed from NST iso into a new virtual machine. I set the virtual machine up to use vmwares enhanced nic and NST worked with it fine after install but it broke when I yum updated. Using vmware tools I usually will run vmware-config-tools.pl to rebuild the nic drivers for the new kernel but I'm not familiar with how to do that with openvm. Is there a function for this?

• What probably happened is that when you YUM updated it also got  the latest kernel update also. The yum repository for public domain version of NST does not include up to date pre-built RPM's for open vmtools. The source code for building the Open vmtools RPM is out at the NST source forge SVN repository. You can build NST RPMs yourself. Instructions are on the NST Wiki site.

Alternatively, If you would like, the NST team has created an NST Pro site that includes an up to date NST Repository and contains the latest Open vmtool RPM for the current kernel. See:  http://www.networksecuritytoolkit.org/nstpro/