NIBM displays nothing, bandwidthd and ntop seem to work fine but I get no activity from NIBM, just empty monitor. Did I miss something.
Can you attach a screen shot? It's difficult to interpret what you mean by "just empty monitor".
You should always see some traffic on the graph associated with the interface you are using to communicate with the NST WUI.
Ronald W. Henderson
Did you put the interface in Promiscuous Mode? You can do this with the NIC button…
You can see the monitor but there is no graphing inside of it and all of the fields just have three hyphens -- were there should be digital data displayed. It's like it's turned off or perhaps maybe if you were to unselect all the nics but I have eth0 selected. This is a vsphere 4 virtual machine and the vsphere server has its virtual nics and switches set to allow promiscuos mode, not that that should matter as eth0 is primary nic for nst. It's the same viewed from firefox on nst or ie on workstation. Again ntop is displaying network load statistics and bandwidthd is displaying data so I'm kind of waiting for you guys to ask me if I didn't do the most obvious thing whatever that is. LOL! All I have done is setup bandwidthd assuming that NIBM was going to use that for it's data and once that was running I went to the NIBM page and checked eth0 and tried the view all button which gives me multiple blank monitors.
You can create an AJAX request under the Information section to get some network interface data. Click on the " network interface data stream" link. Do you see any response?
Information section I did not see until clicking the folder button down there but at a loss to what to do with the new found information. I clicked the hypertext link for "network interface data stream" and I got a new page that displayed the raw data amounts that has been collected and eth0 is showing activity.
The information at the bottom speaks of a Promisc On button but I don't see that in my button group at the top. The graph has a promiscuous light/button in the monitor but its grey and clicking has no effect.
clicking on /proc/net/dev link brings up essentially the same info as before but the data numbers hav grwon so activity is there it's just not getting graphed. Is there something other than bandwidthd process that should be running?
Ok so bandwidthd has nothing to do with this.
Bandwidthd is a separate application not related the NST Bandwidth Monitor. You can disable it. All updates to the NIBM are made via AJAX calls. I lot has changed with the monitor since the NST15 release. If you are interested in these updates you can visit the NST Pro site for a subscription.
So to enable promiscuous mode click on the eth0 NIC button and then the "Promisc On" button. Do you see any updates on the NIC eth0 adapter popup window?
I just booted up the NST15 SVN:2515 release and do not see your issue. Can you please provide a screen shot to help diagnose…
I have screen shots but how do you attach to post in this forum?
Use the Add image button below the "Add a Reply" - The right most one…
There is no add image button next to the reply button. I'm down at the bottom of this thread were it says "Add a Reply" and thats all that is there other than a checkbox for "Monitor this".
Hmmm… must be that I have admin privilege and the add the button… So send me an email to this address: email@example.com with the attachment…
On their way.
Got your images… Thanks…
I am a little perplexed. I also have a similar version of NST running on ESX and ran it the way you described and it is updating normally with the graph being drawn.
So things to try…
1) Clear all browser caches
2) In the NIBM Options panel is the Query Data Rate reasonable….
Lastly. if you allowed me temporary access to your system (i.e., a SSH tunnel) I would take a look and diagnose this issue for you…
I burned a nst disk and have it running on my laptop from the cd and NIBM running fine there. First time I have seen the new Gnome stuff. Cool! (fails on vmware and reverts to lesser screen). On top of that it picked up SmartDisk stuff and told me there were issues with HD. Cool again. Time for SpinRight.
Issue was with your version of ESX returning a different value than I have…
I have modified file: /usr/share/nstwui/php/lib/CreateStaticInfo.php
Let me clean up one more thing… need 5 more minutes…
Ronald W. Henderson
Finally resolution. Added better error checking for hypervisor detection…
Oh wow this is sweet! Now I see some of the things you guys were asking about. LOL!
So how long before this is in the update or is there a file/s I should copy off this system in case I need to rebuild?
This fix will be part of NST16 (Currently work in progress) and also is at the NST Pro site for NST15 maintenance. The source code fix is already in the SVN repo at SourceForge. Our philosophy given the large size of NST and the enormous hours put into it is to have a Pro Site which is maintained and supported for subscribers (for a nominal cost). The helps in the development of the project. These subscribers first receive any new code fixes and new features.
So your choices are the following:
1) You can build NST15 by yourself using the latest code which include fixes.
2) Become an NST Pro subscriber and 'yum update' to get the latest code and new features.
3) Wait for a public version of NST16 to be released.
In your case I have fixed this issue at your site only. The file I fix is: /usr/share/nstwui/php/lib/CreateStaticInfo.php
Thank you for your time and use of your system to help out the NST Project…
I'm already a 2 or at least for the next 4 months so thats handled.