Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Activating Wifi interface IBM Laptop

NST
tabascal
2004-09-22
2012-12-05
  • tabascal
    tabascal
    2004-09-22

I am presently using a IBM R50 laptop which has an inbuilt WiFi interface.

But when I use the NST (the Latest Release) I find the that this interface is not getting actiavted. As a result I am unable to use Airsnort/Kismet to monitor my wireless network.

My normal lan interface is being detected and working fine.

It would be nice if someone could help.

• Getting a particular wireless card working under Linux can be a very tedious process. If your laptop has one of the newer Wireless G cards, it is likely that it won't work with the 1.0.6 NST distribution.

Here is a command to try:

kudzu -p | tee /tmp/hardware.txt
      -
      class: NETWORK
      bus: PCI
      detached: 0
      device: eth0
      driver: 3c59x
      desc: "3Com Corporation|3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado]"
      network.hwaddr: 00:08:74:E6:6A:95
      vendorId: 10b7
      deviceId: 9200
      subVendorId: 1028
      subDeviceId: 00d4
      pciType: 1
      pcidom:    0
      pcibus:  2
      pcidev:  0
      pcifn:  0
      -
      bus: PCMCIA
      device: eth1
      driver: orinoco_cs
      desc: "Intersil PRISM2 11 Mbps Wireless Adapter"
      vendorId: 0156
      deviceId: 0002
      function: 0
      slot: 1

This should show you what hardware is detectable and list the appropriate driver (if known) for each piece of hardware. Notice how it reports 'orinoco_cs' as the driver needed by my wireless card (it also gives an indication of the wireless card chip set).

If it doesn't report your wireless card - or fails to determine what driver is required, then you will need to search the web (it won't be fun).

Enter the following google search to get started:
         kismet thinkpad redhat

Good Luck,
      Paul

• I'm having similar problems. I'm using a Compaq WL110, which is a rebadged Orinoco Gold card, on a Dell Latitude D600. When I run

kudzu -p | tee /tmp/hardware.txt

it shows the following section:
        bus: PCMCIA
        detached: 75
        driver: orinoco_cs
        desc: "Intersil PRISM2 11 Mbps Wireless Adapter"
        vendorID: 0156
        DeviceID: 0002
        function: 0
        slot:0

Which looks very similar to what Paul described earlier in this thread, except for the fact that I'm missing the
        device: eth1

On a slightly related note, the built-in ethernet isn't working either, but there I don't even get a driver:

bus: PCI
        device: eth
        driver: unkown
        desc: "Broadcom Corporation|NetExtreme BCM5705M Gigabit Ethernet"
        vendorID: 14e4
        DeviceID: 165d
        subVendorId: 1028
        subDeviceId: 865d
        pciType: 1

If found a driver on:
        http://www.flarg.com/dell-m60/dell-m60.html
        and will try to get this running. But for now I can't figure out how to get the drivers onto the machine, since I don't have any networking. Any chance you could include these drivers on your 1.2 release?

Can you guys help me with the wireless card problem?

Thanks,

Christian

• Wireless cards are much easier to get working with the v1.2.0 of the NST (which we are still working on). Having Fedora Core 2 and many updated wireless drivers has really helped. I've only got four wireless cards to play with, but all of them are working now.

I am a bit surprised that your orinoco card did not work. Check out the wireless section in the FAQ. Its for the 1.2.0 release, but it may help you in setting up your ifcfg-eth0 and/or ifcfg-eth1 config file.

You might want to look at the output of lsmod and see if a orinoco module is loaded, the output from iwconfig is also useful.

I tracked down the Broadcom gigabit ethernet package and integrated its installation into the 1.2.0 build. You will have to let me know if it works for you.

Good Luck,
          Paul