NppToR 2.5.0 installation error

yeasmink
2010-12-03
2013-05-08
  • yeasmink
    yeasmink
    2010-12-03

Hi,
    I have R 2.11.1 and Notepad++ 5.8.5 already installed in my PC.
    When ever I'm trying to install NppToR 2.5.0 it gives me an error, which reads "Could not find the Rgui.exe files. Aborting?"

The R is installed as administrator but can be used by all users. I have tried to install NppToR as administrator but didn't help.
    Any help ?

Thanks
    yeasmink

• Andrew Redd
    Andrew Redd
    2010-12-03

Interesting I'll try that setup on a virtual machine.  The most likely problem is that R is not registered in the registry, but that should not abort the install.  I will check the installer and see where that might be happening.  NppToR might have installed but failed to install a component like the auto-completion.

Also note that 2.12 has been released, that had structural changes that affect NppToR.  You might want to upgrade R and see if that fixes the problem.

• ushi
    ushi
    2010-12-15

Hi,

I experience now the same problem yeasmink does. Although NpptoR is successfully installed, I get an error message saying that Rgui.exe could not be found. The problem started after I had to uninstall R. Since then I have tried everything I could think of, including re-installation of R, Notepad and of course NpptoR. Today I have just tried the new version of NpptoR but it is unfortunately still not working. Can anyone help me out? yeasmink did you manage to solve your problem?

I have R R.12 for both 32 and 64bits installed and my computer is a W7 64bits. My Notepad version is 5.8.5 and Nppto R 2.5.1

Thanks,
    ushi

• Andrew Redd
    Andrew Redd
    2010-12-15

First question.  Does R, Notepad++, and NppToR still work even after the install error?

• ushi
    ushi
    2010-12-16

Thank you for your reaction and sorry for not being completely clear.

R and Notepad are working fine, but although the installation of NpptoR was successful, it is not working to run R using Notepad. If I try to initiate the programe I get the following error:  "Could not find the Rgui.exe files. Aborting?" and then the only option I have is to press ok.

• Andrew Redd
    Andrew Redd
    2010-12-16

NppToR reads the R home directory from the windows registry.  Uninstalling R will remove that reference, but reinstalling usually fixes the problem.  If reinstalling R does not fix the problem I would set the R home directory manually in the settings.

C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.0\

in the space for R home directory.  Do not include the bin or architecture folders.  This means that when you update R, such as to 2.12.1 that came out today, you will have to update the setting.

• The error "Could not find the Rgui.exe files. Aborting?" also occurs after HIDING THE MENU BAR in Notepad++ (with Settings - Preferences - General - Menu Bar - Hide). Unhiding the menu bar will in that case solve the problem.

• Andrew Redd
    Andrew Redd
    2010-12-20

sorry no hiding the menu bar. NppToR actually uses it to copy the data it needs, and I've not found a good way of getting around it.

There is definitely some other problems with the error message though as I am getting it on a brand new install I just did.  I should find time to figure the problem out during the holidays.

• ushi
    ushi
    2010-12-31

After installing the new version of NpptoR (2.5.2), I was able to find out the problem. Actually, the program was looking for Rgui.exe in the folder directory C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.0**bin\i386\bin\i386. So, the problem was solved by changing the R home from  C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.0**bin\i386 to C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.0. It is now working again! Thanks for the help.

• dude
    dude
    2012-01-14

I have the same problem, which started after I hid the menu, but alas I did not know this initially and have ended up with a bigger problem. I reinstalled R, uninstalled NpptoR, and reinstalled it again (and again) before finding the cause and a potentially simpler solution. Despite turning menu hiding off, I still have a persistent problem.

I have already reinstalled R (v2.14), and it is installed in the correct (default) home directory, C:\Program Files\R\R-2.14.1\.

I have reinstalled NppToR-2.6.0.exe several times. In the installation it does not let me select the path to Rgui.exe (I have to close the installation app. because it gets to the end and freezes). The npptor.ini files contains no arguments for this version.

I get the following dialogue when it is run:

"Error(503): Could not find the Rgui.exe file. Spawning R processes will not work. R must be started manually. After R has been started, passing commands should work as normal."

I then tried the NppToR-2.6.0.zip, here the npptor.ini contain blank arguments for the  section, and thus I enter in:
    R=C:\Program Files\R\R-2.14.1\
    Rcmdparms=
    Npp=C:\Program Files\Notepad++\
    NppConfig=

But I still obtain Error(503) above.

Seeing now the format of the npptor.ini config file, and the place to specify the R home directory, I then reinstalled NppToR-2.6.0.exe, with the problems noted above, except now copied the npptor.ini file from the .zip copy (with the file paths entered). But still same Error(503), even after restarts of the system.

The direction to "manually" opening R makes no sense to me. Opening R and Notepad++ and NpptoR do not work. And, being in Windows 7, there is no "Settings" menu option for the NpptoR application, nor is there a menu option to "Regenerate R Syntax Files".

I installed this without any problem a couple of months ago, then it was working sporadically after I hid the menu yesterday in notepad++, and then wasn't working at all today (after a restart), and haven't been able to restore its function after 4 hours of installations and troubleshooting. Clear and concrete directions would be appreciated. Thanks!

• bartok
    bartok
    2012-02-11

Hi,
    I have problems with NppToR-2.6.0.exe installation, still getting the "Error(503): Could not find the Rgui.exe file. Spawning R processes will not work. R must be started manually. After R has been started, passing commands should work as normal."
    As I see I should change the R home directory from C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.0\bin\i386 to C:\Program Files\R\R-2.12.0.
    How (where) can I do it? Thanks!

• Andrew Redd
    Andrew Redd
    2012-02-11

Right click the system tray icon for NppToR select settings.  The R home directory is the first entry in the settings page.

• okoppius
    okoppius
    2012-02-17

Hi Halpo,

I have the same error as bartok1, but if I right-click on the system tray icon, all the options I get are:
    Suspend Hotkeys
    Pause Script
    Exit

No 'Settings'?
    I've tried reinstalling everything from scratch (R.14.1, NPP 5.9.6.2, NppToR 2.6.0 on XP), but no luck.

• Anonymous
    2012-02-28

Hi everyone,

I am also experience the same problem mentioned by okoppius and bartok1. I am working under windows xp. Any help will be welcome at this stage…

• Andrew Redd
    Andrew Redd
    2012-02-28

Good news and bad news.  Bad news is that I don't know why this is happening.  Good news is that I have replicated the error, and can now start the process in tracking it down.  Updates coming soon.

• kkxfer
    kkxfer
    2012-03-09

I may have a workaround: Install both the 32-bit and 64-bit components of R.  NppToR should work now, but will default to the 64-bit version of R.  If you want, to use the 32-bit version, then right click on the NppToR icon in the Taskbar and click on Settings.  At the bottom, select "Prefer 32-bit R over 64-bit" checkbox.  Click "Save" and you're good to go.  You MAY even be able to uninstall and reinstall R with just the 32-bit components, but I haven't tried that.

I started getting the same 503 error when I installed an SSD as a boot drive and wanted to minimize what I put on there, so I only installed the 32-bit components of R.  When I reinstalled with 64-bit components it worked.

Hopefully, this will shed some light for halpo to figure out what is going on.

Cheers!

• Andrew Redd
    Andrew Redd
    2012-03-12

Good to know that will help me track down the problem.

• Andrew Redd
    Andrew Redd
    2012-03-14

Good news I've tracked this bug down and squashed it for the 2.6.1 release.