Automatically save *.R-file before sourcing

Martin
2011-06-04
2013-05-08
  • Martin
    Martin
    2011-06-04

Hello,

I recently switched from R-WinEdt to Npp to R and so far I really like this software.

There is just one minor annoyance: When I modify the code in the editor and use the hotkey to source the file in R, when I always need to save the .R-file manually, otherwise the modifications have no effect, because the original saved .R-file is executed.

So far, I have tried to circumvent this problem by recording a macro which do this two operations, but unfortunately the usage of the NppToR hotkey is not recorded in the macro.

Therefore, I want to know, if there is a workaround for this problem, maybe:

1) Is it possible to use the NppToR-functionality within a macro?
    2) Is there a (hidden) setting, which changes this behaviour?
    3) Is it possible to implement this behaviour in NppToR in a future version?

Best regards
    Martin

PS: I use Windows 7 64bit prof. / R 2.13.0 / Npp 5.9 / NppToR 2.5.3

• Andrew Redd
    Andrew Redd
    2011-06-04

Martin,
    Fabulous Idea, and autosaving should absolutely be part of send by source.  Should be rather trivial to do as well.  I'll get that added and issue a minor release ASAP.  Thanksfor the great idea.

To answer your questions. 1)  The NppToR functionality masks the Notepad++ keys, so it is not possible to integrate NppToR with macros. 2&3) as mentioned above, will add this functionality, probably will make it hard coded without a setting.

• Martin
    Martin
    2011-06-25

Hello Halpo,

I just installed the new version of NppToR (2.5.4), but autosaving before does not work. Have you already implemented this functionality?

If yes, what may be the reason? For the installation of the new version I just executed the downloaded *.exe-file. Do I need to uninstall the previous version?

Best regards
    Martin