Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

citrix, rexcel, and npptor

2011-07-20
2013-05-08
  • Jeffrey Marcus
    Jeffrey Marcus
    2011-07-20

The environment i am working with has multiple users connecting to a server thorugh citrix sessions.  The end users see a seamless excel session and launch the r console thorugh rexcel. 

two questions:
    1. Can we launch a new notepad++ session from the R console?
    2. Assuming that multiple users can have multiple citrix rexcel sessions on the same box, will a notepad++ applicaiton instance be able to be associated with each console through citrix rexcel sessions?

Thanks in advance for your support and sorry if I have missed this topic if it was already posted.

• Andrew Redd
    Andrew Redd
    2011-07-20

I'm not really familiar with the Citrix environment so I'm not really sure.  When NppToR spawns a process it registers itself as the editor by executing

options(editor="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\NppToR\\NppEditR.exe")

through the .Rprofile file.   The point of this is that it registers a helper program that allows for fix and edit to work properly and gives a button to return the code to R once it is finished.   Executing this in any R session should provide the same results.

As far as the association.  NppToR should only be able to see the processes that the user has access to.  There should not be any cross talk except when the user has multiple R sessions open, and that issue has been addressed a few times here.  In short NppToR is to transfer to the most recently used R session.

Please post back any results that you have, good or bad, so that you can help others users in the same situation.

• Jeffrey Marcus
    Jeffrey Marcus
    2011-07-20

I did read that NppToR uses the last selected r console, but I am not aware of how to start notepad++ from a rexcel SDI r console where notepad++ wll be attached, at least initially, to that console?  Specifically, I am interested being able to launch notepad++ directly from the rconsole instead of having to open notepad++ from the tray icon becuase the citrix excel sessions only sees the excel session and the r console opened with rexcel and the windows sys tray is not visible to the user so I need to be able to launch notepad++ in a way similar to how library(RWinEdt) launches winedt.

• Jeffrey Marcus
    Jeffrey Marcus
    2011-07-20

How could I see the code and command line used to launch notepad++ by selecting Start Notepad++ from the sys tray icon?

• Andrew Redd
    Andrew Redd
    2011-07-20

The code is a AHK command run.  Your best to getting Notepad++ to run from R is:

R> options(editor="C:\\program files (x86)\\Notepad++\\Notepad++.exe")
    R> edit()

NppToR is open source, and you are always welcome to look through the source code to find how I did it.  The NppExe Variable is constructed from reading the registry or specified in the settings file.

• Jeffrey Marcus
    Jeffrey Marcus
    2011-07-20

Thanks,
    Can you paste an example of the value of NppExe?  Are there any command line parameters passed when launching?  What is the equivalent of AHK run in R?  shell?  Would you be able to suggest a line of R code to launch notepad++ from the R console?

• Andrew Redd
    Andrew Redd
    2011-07-21

I got it to work with

shell('"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Notepad++\\notepad++.exe"',wait=F)

• Jeffrey Marcus
    Jeffrey Marcus
    2011-07-21

thanks, that oppens notepad++ for me also, but after executing the commands:
    > options(editor="C:\\program files (x86)\\Notepad++\\Notepad++.exe")
    > shell('"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Notepad++\\notepad++.exe"',wait=F)
    > options(editor="C:\\program files (x86)\\Notepad++\\Notepad++.exe")
    pressing F8 does not send commands from notepad++ to R, and I only have one console open on the box.

• Jeffrey Marcus
    Jeffrey Marcus
    2011-07-21

It does work when logged in directly to he box through remote desktop connection, but not through citrix seamless windows.

• Andrew Redd
    Andrew Redd
    2011-07-21

Does citrix open remote windows so that they appear like they were Local or is it like a remote desktop where you see only the remote desktop?  Sorry I'm not that familiar with the environment.

• Jeffrey Marcus
    Jeffrey Marcus
    2011-07-21

remote windows.

• Jeffrey Marcus
    Jeffrey Marcus
    2011-07-21

well it does both, but we use the seamless remote windows mode.

• Andrew Redd
    Andrew Redd
    2011-07-21

You have a very complicated setup that might not work well with NppToR.  NppToR must be able to communicate with Notepad++ through messages as well as through accessing menus.  With Notepad++ running through a virtual/remote environment  there are several problems with where communication might get messed up.  Your best bet for getting something to run is to either run everything in remote desktop mode, or run Notepad++ locally with R running remotely.  Some orgs might not like that setup for security reasons, but it it the best bet for working.

Do either of these solutions work for you?

• Jeffrey Marcus
    Jeffrey Marcus
    2011-07-21

no, can not move away from local remote windows.

• Andrew Redd
    Andrew Redd
    2011-07-21

I wish I had a citrix environment to be able to test in.  If I did I might be able to find a solution that will work with citrix, but without it I don't see a likely solution.

• Jeffrey Marcus
    Jeffrey Marcus
    2011-07-21

ok, thanks anyway.