Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

MS Word-style case change (Shift+F3 feature): change the case of selected text from upper to lower to title

Abbas
2013-08-11
2013-08-20
  • Abbas
    Abbas
    2013-08-11

:::python

# MS Word has the option of changing the case of selected text by pressing Shift+F3
    # The case changes in the order: UPPER CASE, lower case, Title Case
    # It was something I was missing in Notepad++ so I wrote the following script to add the change case feature
    # Remember to associate this script with Shift+F3 key combination in the Shortcut Mapper

text = editor.getSelText()

if text: # Do this only if some text has been selected
        checkingFuncs = [lambda s: s.isupper(), lambda s: s.islower(),  lambda s: s.istitle(),  lambda s: True]
        alteringFuncs = [lambda s: s.lower(),   lambda s: s.title(),        lambda s: s.upper(),        lambda s: s.upper()]
        numOfFuncs = len(checkingFuncs)

for i in range(0, numOfFuncs): # Iterate through the list of checking functions
            if checkingFuncs[i](text): # Check the existing case of the text
                text = alteringFuncs[i](text) # Based on the result of checking function, change the case in this order: upper->lower, lower->title, title->upper, anything else->upper
                break

start = editor.getSelectionStart() # Record the start and end position of the selection
        end =   editor.getSelectionEnd()

editor.replaceSel(text) # Replace the originally selected text with altered-case text, this will end the selection as well

editor.setSel(start, end) # Select the newly altered text