Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Scripts not running ?!?

Help
2013-07-09
2013-07-10
  • Is anyone else having problems getting scripts to run? I'm on a Windows 7 box, with Notepad++ (version 6.3.3 UNICODE) and 64-bit Python 2.75. I have local admin access. I installed Python Script via Plugin Manager, which came installed with Notepad++. My installation directories match those in the documentation.

Python Script appears in the plugins menu. I can create scripts. I created this one:

str1='Got to console.'
    str2='C:\test.txt'
    console.write(str1)
    notepad.open(str2)

I open the console. I run the script. Nothing happens. The console remains blank. "Stop script" is active in the menu, but does nothing when I choose it. If I try to run it again, I get a message informing me it's a bad idea to run a script when one is currently in process.

I tried adding "from Npp import *" to the top of the script. Didn't help. I can run regular, non-notepad++ python scripts just fine. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the plugin. Nothing changed.

I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone might have regarding this. Do I need to be running an earlier (2.6?) version of python, or perhaps a 32-bit version?

Thank you.

• 2013-07-09

Howard,
    Since you do have a local installation of Python, I'm thinking you could be having a problem similar to what is described in this post:
    http://sourceforge.net/p/npppythonscript/discussion/1188886/thread/a0673391/
    where it's running your Python instead of the Python dll that comes with PythonScript. In which case, I think the 64-bitness might also be part of the problem.
    Check out that post and the one it links to regarding a fix script, and see if it helps.
    Dave

• That did it! I uninstalled the 64-bit version of python, installed the 32-bit version. Then I removed python script, then re-installed it. Rebooted. I noticed the version number of python that comes up in the console doesn't match the one I installed globally, so python script must be using its own version of the DLL. Scripts are now running. Thank you for your help with this!

• 2013-07-10

Great! You're welcome. Glad I could help.