Menu

Hangs on attempting to compare one file...

Compare
Anonymous
2010-09-01
2014-01-03
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2010-09-01

I know that this sounds a bit strange, but I accidentally ALT+D instead of ALT+F, and the Compare started to run and has caused Notepad++ to hang.  Could it be possible to put a check in there to keep Compare from running when there is only one file?  Maybe a message?

• UFO

UFO - 2010-09-01

No such thing like deadlock over here.. message box like it should:

Could you share some specs? OS, N++ version, plugin version, etc…

• froopy

froopy - 2010-09-24

I also have this issue. I often use the Alt-D shortcut in my webbrowser, so sometimes hit it accidentally in Notepad++. I usually have multiple documents open and it freezes for ages before responding. I'd like to be able to disable this shortcut, or provide a confirmation message first please.

• froopy

froopy - 2010-09-24

btw, I'm using:
    Notepad++ v5.7,
    Compare Plugin v1.5.6

• axtoby

axtoby - 2011-09-06

1 year later, same here. Notepad++ is frozen (not responding) for a while. After a few minutes (yes, minutes !), the message "Unhandled Exception" appears, and the app can continue (but the plugin does not work at all). Win7/64, Notepad++ 5.9.3, tested on 3 computers with 4GB memory (P6100, Q6600, E6400).

• Jean-sébastien Leroy

Hi

How big is the files you want to compare ?

I'm aware of this kind of issue with Compare. However, note that with large file, Compare need some time for processing.

Actually, I do not have access to a Windows 7 so issues related to this OS are quite hard for me to resolve.

Regards
    Jean-Sebastien

• axtoby

axtoby - 2011-09-07

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

You're right, this depends on the size of the files / number of differences between files. With very small or very similar files, this doesn't occur. The problem is that the UI isn't refreshed (not responding) while the compare is performed, so Windows 7 asks to close the app and records a crash event. I didn't have a look to the Notepad++ plugin SDK (nor the Notepad++ source code either), but you should slice processing time (or operate in a separate thread) to allow Notepad++ to process the Windows messages queue (an app which doesn't do that is soon reported as crashed under Win7), and you should display a message box (with a cancel button) while processing. This will resolve the problem.

Regards.

• jvdb

jvdb - 2011-11-21

Hi,

here a similar issue (again with Windows7/64bit): it takes minutes and minutes to compare 2 files of about 1.5Mb large, but at least this works.
    Unfortunately, as soon as you try to scroll in one of the windows, or want to maximize/minimize or move NPP, the whole system locks up for a few seconds (completely blanking screens, stopping all I/O functions, etc). Would this also be related to the processing time?
    I'm afraid this version (1.5.6) is not yet ready for this OS.

• rptizzle

rptizzle - 2014-01-03

Please, do not bother with this Compare plugin for Notepad++. For yeas this bug has not been fixed, and I have done fresh installs where this bug consistently freezes the screen (indication it is not my set up).
    Try using Diffuse instead. It's lightweight and awesome.