Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Ignore case

Compare
Ian Prietz
2010-07-15
2013-05-21
  • Ian Prietz
    Ian Prietz
    2010-07-15

I am curious if there is a way to make Compare ignore case values in letters. I am using Compare to compare differences in email address lists, and it recognizes that 2 addresses are different if the only thing differing between them is the case value (upper versus lower).

Ian

• Hi,

There is no way to make Compare case insensitive for the moment. I will add this feature to my todo. list
    By the way, I wonder if email addresses are case sensitive or not ?

Regards
    JS

• Michael Green
    Michael Green
    2011-07-25

The local part of email addresses are case sensitive but that is so often ignored as to almost be a standard that they are case insensitive. http://email.about.com/od/emailbehindthescenes/f/email_case_sens.htm

I'm just replaying to say that I have a similar situation where I am comparing files that are written in a case insensitive scripting language where a number of case changes has thrown off the comparison plugin with 2 syntactically identical (almost) files.

• Anonymous
    2011-09-14

Voting for "ignore case" option, would be very useful!

• RgnKjnVA
    RgnKjnVA
    2011-09-26

+1.   I'm a little surprised it's not in there already.

• ardsouza
    ardsouza
    2012-02-09

+1. Ignore Case is hugely useful in comparing files for languages that are case-insensitive like SQL.

• Wooooo
    Wooooo
    2012-03-27

+1
    @jsleroy, it's been 1 year and a half now … this 'case-insensitive comparing' is yet to come.
    1 other thing, 'encoding-insensitive comparing(e.g. same Chinese characters in diff encoding)', is it too much to ask ? :-)

npp plugins are not open source, right ?