Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Where to place FunctionListRules.xml file?

2009-07-13
2013-07-28
  • I'm trying to install the Function List 2.0 Beta on my Notepad++ 5.4.4. The problem is that it doesn't seem to load the FunctionListRules.xml file. When I open the sidebar with FunctionList I see no listings and it says there are no rules.

I've created a rule, but of course since I'm not familiar with how to rules sets work I get nothing displayed. When I delete my rule I now get an error causing NP++ to crash.

AppName: notepad++.exe     AppVer: 5.4.4.0     ModName: functionlist.dll
    ModVer: 2.0.0.0     Offset: 00004dbd

• in your       %APPDATA%\Notepad++\plugins\config       directory
      example: C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Notepad++\plugins\config

or

in  "program directory"\plugins\Config
      example: C:\Program Files\Notepad++\plugins\Config

• Kakashi Hatake
      Kakashi Hatake
      2009-07-13

very useful discussion. it helped me

• numone
    numone
    2009-10-26

I am also confused. I just loaded up Function List 2.0 Beta and downloaded NPP 5.5.1

I have my .DLL file in:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\plugins

I have my other two files in:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\plugins\Config

Yet I open a file in NPP and nothing shows up in my function list. (I've tried ASP and Javascript).

• David Loop
    David Loop
    2009-10-28

numone1, when you installed did you specifically turn off the %APPDEV% location for plugins?  If you change directory to %APPDEV%\Notepad++ and that directory exists, then that is where the files should be placed. 

• David Loop
    David Loop
    2009-10-28

Also, I take it that you don't see the word "FUNCTION" in your function list… is that right?

• numone
    numone
    2009-10-28

no i did not check that in the installer. only thing i did was make npp my default html viewer.

Also now when i open a javascript file function list gets 50% done then crashes npp.  only javascript files. and function list still isn't working on anything else.

• numone
    numone
    2009-10-28

and i see "Function List - 100%" at the top and nothing in the area where functions would be.

• numone
    numone
    2009-10-28

hmm ok i had to re-add a language parsing rule for javascript (though it is blank) to stop it from crashing on js files. that seems like a bug to me.

• Aihua W
    Aihua W
    2009-11-04

"program directory"\plugins\Config does not work for me, while %APPDATA%\Notepad++\plugins\config directory is ok.

• Aihua W
    Aihua W
    2009-11-04

BTW, NPP is 5.5.1 UNICODE & FunctionList 2.0 Beta UNICODE

• Anonymous
    2010-01-20

Hmmm… still doesn't work for me. I've tried to put the file in both locations, but np++ doesn't seem to find it. It states "No rules defined" I tried to define a few rules and then the file was saved under documents and settings/myUser/Application Data/Notepad++/plugins/config, but when I tried to replace that file with the one from the zip-file, I was back to the "no rules defined".