Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

#571 Replace misleading and inconsistent “ANSI as UTF-8” with the correct term “UTF-8 without BOM”

Next_release
closed
nobody
None
6
2014-05-11
2014-04-21
daljun
No

Please consider this issue that has been created more than one year ago: https://sourceforge.net/p/notepad-plus/bugs/4095/

“ANSI as UTF-8” is an incorrect, misleading and confusing term, which does not exist outside Notepad++.
In addition, it is inconsistent with the rest of the UI. Please replace it with the correct term “UTF-8 without BOM”.

Please do not ignore this issue. It’s very easy to fix.

1 Attachments

Discussion

  • Chinoto Vokro
    Chinoto Vokro
    2014-04-21

    While we're at it, let's change occurrences of "ANSI" to "ISO-8859-1", "Windows-1252", "CP-1252", or "Latin-1". ANSI is an organization, Microsoft made a mistake that propagated http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_ANSI_code_page#ANSI_code_page

     
    Last edit: Chinoto Vokro 2014-04-21
  • daljun
    daljun
    2014-04-26

    It seems that I’ve overlooked the “ansiasutf8” value in the config.xml. Here is a search result of this string in the current N++ trunk source code: https://gist.github.com/TomOne/11315062

    It isn’t as easy as expected to correct that misnomer “ANSI as UTF-8”. :(


    Important edit: Sorry, I’ve noticed that the remaining “ansiasutf8” occurrences in the source code are not directly related to this. Therefore I opened another ticket for it: https://sourceforge.net/p/notepad-plus/bugs/4803/. These misnomers and incorrect labels are very confusing. Please correct them as fast as possible.

     
    Last edit: daljun 2014-05-06
  • Don HO
    Don HO
    2014-05-01

    • status: open --> accepted
    • Priority: 5 --> 6
     
  • daljun
    daljun
    2014-05-05

    @Don HO, thanks for implementing this. Another small but good steep to clear out the confusion and misnomers in the world of character encodings. :)

    Please also correct the terms in the other occurrences of the source code and in the config file (see my previous comment.

    The old setting “ansiasutf8” should still be accepted by the configuration, but deprecated in favor of “utf8withoutbom” or something similar. Otherwise the confusion in this area won’t end. ;)


    Important edit: Sorry, the comment part above the separation line is not entirely correct. Refer to https://sourceforge.net/p/notepad-plus/patches/571/#a9dc

     
    Last edit: daljun 2014-05-06
  • daljun
    daljun
    2014-05-06

    This ticket can be closed, because the patch has been applied.

    But remember to also fix https://sourceforge.net/p/notepad-plus/bugs/4803/. We really need to reduce the ongoing confusion that are related to N++ and character encodings.

     
  • Don HO
    Don HO
    2014-05-11

    • status: accepted --> closed