This patch includes several enhancements and bug-fixes of Npp 4.40
The provided source code listings are based on Npp 4.40 (SVN revision 52) source code. Included changes are commented. You easily can find the changes when comparing with the original files of Npp 4.40 source code.
Furthermore, most of the changes have inline comments starting with "//--LS:" and a special CommentCode which indicates to which update/patch the changes belong. Therefore, you could just take over the featurs you are interrested in very easily.
In the following, an overview on the enhancements and bug-fixes is given:
1.) Patch 1438277_commenting is included and updated.
- Update: Comparison with comment_string is now made case in-sensitive.
- CommentCode: Patch 1438277_commenting
2.) Patch  "File-Edit-View-History Enhancement" is included and updated.
(see also feature request 
This patch uses also changes made by "Session SubView restore" to restore the edit view of the document.
The edit view of a document (last cursor position, marks and bookmarks) is always restored when the document is loaded.
However, document view (MainView or SubView) is not restored so that the file is loaded into the current view window.
- CommentCode: FileEditViewHistory:
3.) Patch  "Ctrl-F4 and Ctrl-F6 Windows Compatibility Enh." is included.
Indeed, this patch includes two patches:
a.) Ctrl-F4 shortcut added, which closes the active document.
b.) In addition to Ctrl-TAB the Ctrl-F6 shortcut has been added, which moves directly between documents but without using the "document switcher list" menu. However, the Ctrl-F6 functionality could be made available without software change by changing Ctrl-TAB to Ctrl-F6 using the Shortcut-Mapper and disabling the document switcher list in the preference settings dialog.
- CommentCode: CtrlTabF6: and CtrlTabF4:
4.) Bug-Fix for  Split Focus not changing if non-focused 'active' tab clicked
When the user has documents in both edit views and clicks on a tab bar of the other edit view in order to activate a document there, it does not work. The user needs to click into the document window. But this moves the cursor to the location, where the user has clicked and does not leave the cursor at the position where the document was left. This odd behaviour has been corrected.
- CommentCode: OtherTabBarActivateDocument
5.) Configuration settings per user Enable/Disable preference setting dialog included.
Npp reads configuration settings either from the user private directory under "Documents And Settings\<username>\Application Data\Notepad++" or from the directory where notepad++.exe is installed.
This behaviour could now be set with a check-box in the Preference Settings dialog (MISC-Tab).
- CommentCode: ConfigurationSettingsPerUser
6.) Session Restore with Sub-View Settings
The functionality of "Session Restore with Sub-View Settings" feature, introduced in Npp 4.40, was updated:
a.) Bug-Fix for  - Clonning doesn't let start again NP++ -
Note: In Npp 4.50 it was announced that bug  was fixed. However, this is not fully true because the reported error condition is just by-passed. There are other conditions which still crash Npp 4.50 or cause a system error (see below in b.)).
b.) Functionality updated and enhanced.
- Files in both views are restored correctly now.
- If the user has already opened (loaded) files in one or in both views and he loads a session where this file is also included, the already opened files are restored correctly. However, the behaviour could be defined in the preference settings (MISC-Tab) to leave the already opened session files untouched.
- Npp does not crash if a file in the session exists but the user does not have the right to open it.
- No runtime error appears, when a session is loaded, then the last file is moved to the second view and the session is loaded again without closing all loaded files.
- CommentCode: Session SubView restore:
7.) Error message for "Load config.xml failed" and "Load stylers.xml failed" updated with path to the file.
- CommentCode: ConfigPathMessage
8.) Some bug fixes when writing and reading the history- and session- xml files.
- CommentCode: ReadingWritingHistory_SessionXMLFiles
9.) Preference Setting dialog (MISC-Tab) updated to control the above mentioned new functionalities:
- Session Setting: Restore sub-views when loading sessions.
- Session Setting: Apply session settings to already opened files.
- File Edit View History Setting: Max number of history files
- File Edit View History Setting: Enable File Edit View History
- Configuration settings per user
- There is no CommentCode for this but the individual CommentCodes of the single patches are used.
10.) Patch 1783889 "BugFix for #1783887 and #1757987" included.
- CommentCode: Patch 1783889_BugFix for #1783887 and #1757987
11.) Compile Date in About-dialog inserted.
This is just a private help to distinguish between several Npp executables used for testing.
When compiling the about.cpp file, the current compile date is automatically inserted/updated in the About-dialog.
- CommentCode: CompileDateInAboutDialog
However, because of the unlucky implementation of the "auto add extension" behaviour in save dialog implemented in v4.4, which has a back-draw.
It always replaces any extension with the one of the file type.
Therefore, just use the code provided within this version and update previous or later Npp-versions.