Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Boycott Notepad++ because it win dependent

2009-08-25
2014-02-11
  • Death Knight®
    Death Knight®
    2009-08-25

I want NotePad++ for Linux and Mac. Make it portable!

• PaulNations
      PaulNations
      2014-02-11

Lem'me get this straight - you want me to stop using the best free editor I've found in 30+ years of programming because it doesn't work on your choice of OS?

Yeah.

Right.

Last edit: PaulNations 2014-02-11
  • geekWaldo
    geekWaldo
    2009-11-03

I want a pony.  So?

It's about as easy as telling you to "just go to the moon".  Much easier said than done.

-Waldo

• Greg Martin
    Greg Martin
    2009-11-04

How lame.  In the US we have a saying for this.  Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.  It means if someone is giving you a gift, don't complain about it.

If you'd like a copy of NPP for linux, please, go write it.

\\\Greg

• John Doe
    John Doe
    2009-11-09

You can use VI as text editor under linux.

It works great.

• Conrad Braam
    Conrad Braam
    2009-11-09

This is an interesting statement,  in it'self meaningless, but deeper down, a compliment. Keep searching for a editor, but remember, stick with one editor and become good at using it. There are so many decent ones out there, the lighter the better.
    Learning to use 2 editors is a diversion, I've seen VI, sed and grep used together by a pro to do stuff faster than most folk do in their fancy Windows GUIs.

• Notepad++ is not required on Linux, there are many text editors that are better, like KATE (my favourite) and Bluefish. And there are some good ones on Macs too, I'm told.

• ih8censorship
    ih8censorship
    2009-11-28

I agree, there are too many good editors on Linux to worry much about making notepad++ portable. It would be cool, but if I were Don Ho I wouldn't waste my time with that at this point.

• Tiger Mountain
    Tiger Mountain
    2009-12-25

Stop whining about a great Windows tool.

If you really need to run Notepad++ under Linux try wine.

: http://bur.st/~gunny/winehowto.html

• Anonymous
    2010-01-12

Notepad ++ on a MAC???

OMG! Textmate is sooooo much better and there's nothing that Textmate doesnt have that Notepadd++ has …

Notepadd++ and Textmate are the best in their worlds!

• Anonymous
    2010-01-30

Notepad++ has been portable forever.  At least for the past 2 years.  Go to http://portableapps.com

• seth
    seth
    2010-03-15

Notepad++ for linux = gedit

• BoZ
    BoZ
    2010-05-14

I've never used it and I never wanted to. I'm a Linux user and I know from heart that there are abundant good text editors in the REAL OSS world, not this built from Win32 crap.

Win32 API is utter crap, if you build something from it even 10 years ago, you are building crap. If you take the "open source, free speech" flag in your hand and use it to mark up your Win32 app, that's the root of all evil.

We don't need you to spread your Win32 virus in the form of Open Source, go learn some real Open Source API, platform and then come back to promote open-your-ass source.

• geekWaldo
    geekWaldo
    2010-05-14

Ah, legitimate discussion points there…  Nothing flame-y or troll-like there </sarcasm>

N++ team, please continue your excellent work.  It is appreciated.

• David Chiang
    David Chiang
    2010-05-16

N++ team, please continue your excellent work. It is appreciated.

No that's a lie! NP++ is a big piece of shit and I would never use it in Linux, jedit is much better.

• Vbill junes
    Vbill junes
    2010-10-19

.no need to worry just too many notepad just like dat N++

• -ed-
    -ed-
    2011-01-16

You're right!  I refuse to install NotePad++ on my Linux machine :0)

• Notepad is scientology !!!

• Anonymous
    2011-10-25

Emacs, Vim and Textmate are enough for *x and mac, and a cross-platform software can't have the same performance as a system-dependent software.

• Spharx
    Spharx
    2011-11-08

Tested so far emacs, vim, kate, gedit and some other standard distro stuff. Everything is so much mehhhhh, Kate was for now the best but it leaks features of n++. Especially gedit ~.~ super editor dor everything bla bla plugins blaa and NOTHING !! So much missing stuff ;/
    Wth is wrong with you guys. Linux isn't fun without n++

• Tiger Mountain
    Tiger Mountain
    2011-11-09

I think the name of this thread is totally wrong and negative.
    Should there not be a thread "Support the port of N++ to Linux" ?
    I'm certainly not going to stop using N++, when I have to use Windowz

• john zorn
    john zorn
    2013-03-08

i want a mac so i can use coda...
    funtionally is great but looking a georgeous interface helps with my programming.
    use coda and forget np++ is you have a mac

• sisusang
    sisusang
    2013-05-13

Runs good in Ubuntu 11.10 in wine, maybe Mac could run it in wine as well?

• Jim Mooney
    Jim Mooney
    2013-09-09

Besides, Mac is for Users, not for Programmers ;')

• I work with Notepad++ every single day and I love the program. I'm constantly data mining XMLs e.g. search/find, then bookmark, copy bookmarked lines, and prepare the results in such a way that I can then copy/paste it into Excel. I've recorded Macros to a lot of different tasks and I cannot find a single program for the Mac that has the features I need, like Notepad++ offers.

Any ideas?

TIA

• Marshall
    Marshall
    2013-11-27

Here's a deb package of NPP 6.5.1 for Debian/*buntu/Mint: http://www.sendspace.com/file/xww70t

It installs the program into /opt and creates links into your home folder, so configs will be saved there. It doesn't use it's own wine prefix. A shortcut will be placed in your DE's menu. What's the point of a deb package? Nothing I guess, asside of being able to deinstall it with the system's package manager (along with wine in case is was installed automatically as dependency).