German translations

2008-10-26
2014-07-29
<< < 1 2 3 (Page 3 of 3)
  • Jan Schreiber
    Jan Schreiber
    2013-10-17

I quit. It is too uncoordinated and too unprofessional. I hope anyone who wants to take over will find a well-managed XML file at the address above. Goodbye, Notepad++ chaos people. It just doesn't work out.

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2013-10-17

Hi Jan,

May I know what you expected as professional coordination?
    I would provide it if I can.

Don

Last edit: Don HO 2013-10-17
  • Jan Schreiber
    Jan Schreiber
    2013-10-18

Hi Don,

I feel awfully sorry for the above diva-like rant. Truth be told, I had had a few drinks too much before writing this.
    Nonetheless, there is some truth to it. I will think about it for a few days and hopefully come up with a couple of useful suggestions.

--Jan

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2013-10-18

No problem Jan.
    At least the truth was revealed - the alcohol is not only useful for Ballmer Peak :)

I wait for your suggestion and then I will see what I can do about it.

Don

Last edit: Don HO 2013-10-18
  • Yaron
    Yaron
    2013-10-19

Updating English.xml regularly would be useful.

Thank you.

• Jan Schreiber
    Jan Schreiber
    2013-10-20

Hi Don,

Again, I apologize for the rant.

I think the main problem for the translators is to find the new strings. I often find myself digging through the source code or using the excellent [Resource Hacker] (http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker). Usually, this is not what translators are expected to do.

What I (ideally) want is something like the following workflow:
    (1) I get an e-mail that says, "5 strings in Notepad++ have changed. Click here to download the latest english.xml." (Mailing list, RSS feed, forum message -- I don't care.)
    (2) english.xml is always up-to-date and accurate. Plus, it has comments that identify new strings, such as <!-- TRANSLATEME -->.
    (3) I can translate the items and test them immediately.

Number 2 is by far the most important. This step can probably be achieved by a Python script that somehow compares the new C++ code to the old version on a new commit, and inserts a comment and the new line to translate into the english.xml file.

HTH,
    Jan

Last edit: Don HO 2013-10-21
    • Don HO
      Don HO
      2013-10-21

Jan,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I will definately update english.xml more frequently.

I'll need your help to complete the workflow. Here's the workflow I suggest:
      1. A version info will be added in english.xml on each update of english.xml:
      <Native-Langue name="English" filename="english.xml" version="6.5.1">
      2. Once file is submitted in SVN, I'll do an announce on the forum "Translation".
      3. With your Python script, the comment <!--NEW STRING TO BE TRANSLATED--> could be inserted into english.xml then you can upload your english.xml in the same thread for the other translators.

What do you think?

Don

• Bata György
    Bata György
    2013-10-21

Hi Don,

I hope Jan doesn't mind if I comment also here (I'm Hungarian translator).
    You should definitely update the english.xml for frequently. Also many items are missing currently.

Versioning will be very useful!
    Announcing in forum is also good.
    The "New strings" or similar string I don't fully understand. At least what I used to do is following:
    - I compare the new english.xml to the previous version with a diff viewer, (KDiff3 program)
    - Then I put differences to the translated XML, and I translate them.
    (- All thing I follow in a simple Excel table with my personal comments, but that's just an own method, maybe others do it differently.)

Anyway, at least just my opinion, the text section marked as "New strings" should be put only to the forum, for every release, but not to the english.xml file! If someone doesn't always update the XML (that often happens), then with next update there will be a lot more strings to translate, not just the current version one. I think the english.xml should be always the trustable reference, not containing comments like "New string to be translated".

What do you think?
    György

Last edit: Bata György 2013-10-21
    • Don HO
      Don HO
      2013-10-29

Hi György,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I think the english.xml should be always the trustable reference, not containing comments like "New string to be translated".

Totolly agree with you.
      I will rather post a diff file on the forum for updating purpose.

I'm working on updating english.xml and I'll publish it as soon as I fininsh it.

Don

• Jan Schreiber
    Jan Schreiber
    2014-03-08

Update for 6.5.5 available, same link as above.

• Jan Schreiber
    Jan Schreiber
    2014-04-20

Update for 6.6 under the same link as above.

• Thomas
    Thomas
    2014-06-25

Hi Jan,

Thanks for providing the German localization for Notepad++.

Unfortunately the phrase
    <Item id="21320" name="Folding in code 2 style (separators needed):"/>
    is translated to
    <Item id="21320" name="Textblöcke im Code 2"/>

My suggestion would be
    <Item id="21320" name="Textblöcke im Code 2 (Trennzeichen nötig)"/>
    to express the difference between the two folding algorithms.

Regards,
    Thomas

<< < 1 2 3 (Page 3 of 3)