dave-user
2011-06-05
2013-11-17
1 2 3 > >> (Page 1 of 3)
  • dave-user
    dave-user
    2011-06-05

A new plugin - Customize Toolbar - is now available for download at:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/npp-customize/files/Customize%20Toolbar%20v1.3/CustomizeToolbar_1_3_UNI_dll.zip/download

This plugin allows the Notepad++ toolbar to be fully customised by the user, and includes twelve additional buttons for frequently used menu commands. 

All buttons on the toolbar can be customized, whether standard buttons, additional buttons, or buttons belonging to other plugins. 

When this plugin is first installed, the twelve additional buttons are not shown on the toolbar, but are available in the Customize Toolbar window.

• Vera
    Vera
    2011-06-06

Dear dave

many thanks for this helper :)

That's realy great to be able to remove or insert or move the toolbar icons around and adjust them to ones preferences.

As for my first testings it works fine with the current version but also with NPP++ 5.8.6.
    What I missed was a 'set to default' - but that was easily done by deleting the 'CustomziseToolbar.dat'.

Is there any chance you'd enable your plugin to work with the ANSI version as well?
    I still prefer it much over the UNI version.

greetings ~ Vera

• Mark Baines
    Mark Baines
    2011-06-06

Nice work, well done!

• dave-user
    dave-user
    2011-06-06

Vera,

There is a 'set to default' facility - in the Customize Toolbar window, click on the 'Reset' button - this should reset the toolbar layout as if the Customize Plugin was not installed.

I will look into providing an ANSI version as well.

Dave

• Vera
    Vera
    2011-06-06

Hi Dave

Aah - right underneath that close button.
    Sorry I missinterpreted this reset as 'reset current changes' but not the whole and didn't regard it furtheron.
    Tested - works fine :)

and happy to hear you'll support ANSI as well soon :)

Vera

• uninfected
    uninfected
    2011-06-07

Nice plugin, thanks!

Would that concept allow future plugin versions to create a button from every available menu command in NP++?
    There are some commands deeply buried in the menu I use rather often (TextFX, Edit commands, Language-switches); would be nice to have them as a button, too.

• Bill Mullin
    Bill Mullin
    2011-06-09

Hello Dave,  I just started using Notepad++ today.  One of the first things I looked for was the capability of customizing the toolbar, your .DLL did the trick.  One problem I noticed though:  I customized the standard icon set to suit my needs.  Then I used Preferences to take a look at the large icons but made no changes.  When I went back to the standard icon set they had reverted to the default.  Not a big deal, but now that I've customized my standard icons again I need to remember to NOT take a look at the other icon sets.

Nice job otherwise!

- Bill

• Nutznieser
    Nutznieser
    2011-06-11

Hello,

Thank you very much for this helpfull plugin! Would it be possible, to add an icon to switch displaying the line number margin on or off? It would be a great deal.

HarryH

• dave-user
    dave-user
    2011-06-12

HarryH,

I'm afraid it is not possible to add an icon to switch displaying the line number margin on or off.  This is because this function is not a menu command, it is only available in the Settings > Preferences dialog, which is not accessible to a plugin.

Dave

• dave-user
    dave-user
    2011-06-12

Bill,

At the moment, I can't see a perfect fix for this - there is no way for a plugin to find out if the icon set has been changed by the "Preferences…" dialog - at least not until after a restart (the Notepad++ preferences are saved to config.xml on exit).

However, the next version of Customize Toolbar will save the customized toolbar on exit from the "Customize…" dialog, instead of saving it on exit from Notepad++.  This has the advantage that if the user customizes the toolbar with Standard Icons, and subsequently changes to Big Icons and back to Standard Icons without any further customizations, then the original customizations can be reinstated by exiting and restarting Notepad++.

Regards,

Dave

• cchris
    cchris
    2011-06-12

It is available, because it once could be reached through a menu and the code is still here.

::SendMessage(hNpp,WM_COMMAND,IDM_VIEW_LINENUMBER,1)

lParam must be 1 or 2. The value isn't used though.
    The only preferences you can get at in this manner are:
    * toggle line number
    * toggle symbol margin
    * set fold margin style
    * enable current line highliting
    * vertiacl edge settings
    * wrap indent mode

Check the code for void Notepad_plus::specialCmd(int id);

CChris

• dave-user
    dave-user
    2011-06-15

Vera, Bill,

A new version (1.4) of Customize Toolbar has been released which includes fixes for the issues you reported.  There is now an ANSI variant of the plugin and the issues when switching between Small/Big/Standard Icons have been resolved.

There is a new post on this forum about this new version of Customize Toolbar.

Dave

•  jamesnarcolin
    jamesnarcolin
    2011-11-27

hey dave i've encountered a problem with this plugin - after i copy it to the directory and start up notepad++ my custom buttons that i added in get 'grayed out' and are no longer pressable. am i doing something wrong/is there some setting i need to change?

here are before and after images showing what happens. the custom buttons are to the right of the normal ones (except the spellcheck one, which is perhaps from another plugin):

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/7192/notepadplusmenunormal.jpg

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/198/notepadplusmenuaftercus.jpg

i'd like to remove some of the default buttons but need to keep the custom buttons. also is there any way you can add an additional bar to the button toolbar that would appear right below the default one?

thanks

• Anonymous
    2012-01-06

How to add my own button to the toolbar apart of these twelve additional buttons?

• Anonymous
    2012-02-23

Thank you for version 2.0 and for new buttons! I have a small request. Could you also add button "Compare" and "Clear results" from Compare plugin and change behaviour of button "Spaces to tabs". It should replace four spaces to one tab, but not all spaces. There is a such button in NotepadSharp plugin.
    Greetings
    Driver

• dave-user
    dave-user
    2012-02-23

Hi Driver,

I agree that it would be nice to have buttons for "Compare" and "Clear Results".  However, the additional buttons included with the Customize Toolbar plugin are only for Notepad++ built-in commands (which have static command numbers).  It would be more difficult to include these two buttons for the Compare plugin (which have dynamically generated command numbers).  It would be better to request the developer of the Compare plugin to include these two buttons within the plugin.

I also agree that the standard "Space to TAB" function does not work in a very useful way, and it would be nice to have a button for the "Leading Spaces to TABS" function in the Notepad# plugin.  Again, it  would be better to request the developer of the Notepad# plugin to include these two buttons within the plugin.

Regards,

Dave

• Hey there!

I believe that I understand what you're referring to when explaining that it may be too difficult to add buttons from external plugins into your own. I'd be willing to tackle this in my own plugin, but I don't know how to actually create the button on the bar. I was hoping to take a peek at your source code to see how to go about doing that. Is that available or could you tell me how I could go about doing that?

Thanks!

-Andy

• Turtleknee
    Turtleknee
    2012-05-04

Thanks for the work you have done on this plugin Dave.  Could you add a "Select All" button to the next version?

Thanks again.

• dave-user
    dave-user
    2012-06-25

Hi  Driver , awakeintosleep , turtleknee ,

I have had quite a few similar requests either to add buttons for more of Notepad++’s standard menu commands, or to add buttons for other plugin’s menu commands.

I think the sensible solution is to add a “user-defined button” feature to my Customize Toolbar plugin.

This feature would require the user to:

-  prepare a simple configuration file  (defining the menu command name and the button icon image file name)
        -  provide a 16x16 .bmp image for the button icon

For example, the entry in the configuration file for Notepad++’s “Select All” menu command would look something like:

Edit,Select All,selectall.bmp

Would this solution meet your requirements?

Regards,

Dave

• Anonymous
    2012-06-25

That would be great! This would meet the expectations of all concerned. Thank you :)
    Regards,
    Driver

• Nutznieser
    Nutznieser
    2012-07-19

Is it possible to do what CChris in reply 11 wrote? An icon to switch line number margin on or off would be great!

It is available, because it once could be reached through a menu and the code is still here.

::SendMessage(hNpp,WM_COMMAND,IDM_VIEW_LINENUMBER,1)

lParam must be 1 or 2. The value isn't used though.
    The only preferences you can get at in this manner are:
    * toggle line number
    * toggle symbol margin
    * set fold margin style
    * enable current line highliting
    * vertiacl edge settings
    * wrap indent mode

Check the code for void Notepad_plus::specialCmd(int id);

CChris

• dave-user
    dave-user
    2012-07-21

Hi nutznieser,

With Customize Toolbar 3.0, it is possible to create a user-defined custom button for any Notepad++ menu command or any plugin menu command, using a configuration file (…\plugins\config\CutomizeToolbar.btn).  However, this does not help in this case, because the "special" preferences commands (e.g. Toggle Line Number) do not have corresponding menu commands.

Even so, I think it will be possible to provide a toolbar button for Toggle Line Number, although it would have to be implemented differently to the way CChris suggested, in order to integrate with the architecture of Customize Toolbar.

I will investigate further.

Regards,

Dave (dw-dev)

• dave-user
    dave-user
    2012-07-23

Hi Driver, awakeintosleep, turtleknee,

With Customize Toolbar 3.0, it is possible to create a user-defined custom button for any Notepad++ menu command or any plugin menu command, using a configuration file (…\plugins\config\CutomizeToolbar.btn).

Click on Plugins > Customize Toolbar > Custom Buttons to enable and get help for this feature.

You can download Customize Toolbar 3.0 from:

- https://sourceforge.net/projects/npp-customize/files/Customize%20Toolbar%20v3.0/CustomizeToolbar_3_0_UNI.zip/download

Regards,

Dave

dw-dev

• Anonymous
    2012-09-17

The 3.0 is great.

About
    "Custom buttons for Notepad++ or plugin menu commands can be defined using a configuration file, and there is a menu option to enable/disable this feature."

If I want to add a new button, e.g., explorer button, the command would like below:
    Run,Open containing folder,,,notepad++.bmp

but how do I know which icon name to set for it? (I'm using the Standard Icons set)

Thanks.
    How do I know the standard icon name to set??

1 2 3 > >> (Page 1 of 3)