Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Run in Opera

2007-04-30
2012-11-14
  • First of off thanks for the great text editor, but there is one feature i would like to request for. "Run In Opera" would be great, or something that would allow you to execute what ever browser you choose. I know this maybe be impossible but its just a request thanks in advance.

Faust-C

• Haha, Notepad++ is a greater text editor than you seem to think, since what you're asking for is already possible:

Under the "Run" menu, click "Run..."  and enter the path of Opera.exe on your system, followed by "(FULL_CURRENT_PATH)" (including the quotes!).  So that could be:

"C:\Program Files\Opera\Opera.exe" "(FULL_CURRENT_PATH)"

Then click on 'Save...', enter the description 'Open in &Opera', assign it any shortcut you want, and click the OK button.

After restarting Notepad++, you'll see the option 'Open in Opera' under your Run menu, which if you click it, will open the current document in Opera.

• I does not work for me. I tried all flavours to no avail. Any tip?

• Don HO
        Don HO
        2007-04-30

> After restarting Notepad++, you'll see the option 'Open in Opera'
        > under your Run menu, which if you click it, will open the current document in Opera.

No need to restart Notepad++, it's not MS Windows :)

Don

• Hi Don,

Are you sure about that?

'Cause on my computer, it doesn't work until I've restarted Npp... (I'm running v4.0.2)

Thanks,
          Martijn

• Oops!

I forgot to include the $ dollar sign -- all the variables have the form of $(...).

So the command line should be:

"C:\Program Files\Opera\Opera.exe" "$(FULL_CURRENT_PATH)"

Apologies!

• Ran for me on the first try, without restarting Notepad++

Good job guys.

Question: can any of the items in the Run menue (or other menue's) be re-organized (such as 'by name')?

For example, if I wanted to Run in Opera, and have it at the top of the Run Menue (so that I don't have to look at the 'launch in IE' (urrr)), how could this menue be re-organized to my preferences?

• Check out the file shortcuts.xml, either in "C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Notepad++", or in the Notepad++ program folder (usually "C:\Program Files\Notepad++").

In the section <UserDefinedCommands>, you can change the order of the menu items, the shortcut keys, or you can even remove the 'open in IE' option...

AFAIK, you will have to do this 'manually', though.  Nice thing is, it can be done with Npp, though if you do that, you *will* have to restart Npp.  :-)

• Hey THX so much now I can launch my xhtml pages with ease now! (IE doesnt like my CSS)
      THANKS SO MUCH for the reply!!!!