Plugin Manager: Names of plugins in drop-down list

2014-04-26
2014-04-26
  • Nude Spoons
    Nude Spoons
    2014-04-26

First, thank you Dave for your continued development and support of Plugin Manager. I find it indispensable and an excellent piece of work.

I have one problem that I hope you can provide assistance with, even though it does not relate to a shortcoming or flaw in Plugin Manager. I have a fairly large number (>70) plug-ins installed and, when I click on the Plugins menu in Notepad++, the corresponding entries in the drop-down list are not sorted alphanumerically, as might be expected. Apart from being plain irksome, this impinges on usability and productivity.

Some time ago, CChris advised me that this is due to the name of the associated .DLL file chosen by the individual plug-in developer(s), which is not always the same as the name under which they choose to publish the plug-in.

Now, of course, I could contact each developer individually, or create a separate post for each plug-in that has this issue; and I will do so if that is what you advise. However, I wonder if you might consider including a check as part of your testing/authorisation process to ensure there is a correlation between the .DLL file and the plug-in name, thus ensuring consistency within the drop-down menu. Perhaps this could become a mandatory requirement: if not, included within the guidelines, at least.

Related to this issue is the insistence of some developers of including the " to="">

CChris advised me that this is due to the name of the associated .DLL file chosen by the individual plug-in developer(s), which is not always the same as the name under which they choose to publish the plug-in.

Now, of course, I could contact each developer individually, or create a separate post for each plug-in that has this issue; and I will do so if that is what you advise. However, I wonder if you might consider including a check as part of your testing/authorisation process to ensure there is a correlation between the .DLL file and the plug-in name, thus ensuring consistency within the drop-down menu. Perhaps this could become a mandatory requirement: if not, included within the guidelines, at least.

Related to this issue is the insistence of some developers of including the " to="">Finally, Dave, would you consider an enhancement to Plugin Manager to include the option of grouping plug-ins in the drop-down list within sub-menus according to the initial letter of their names, as Notepad++ does with the Language menu?

CChris advised me that this is due to the name of the associated .DLL file chosen by the individual plug-in developer(s), which is not always the same as the name under which they choose to publish the plug-in.

Related to this issue is the insistence of some developers of including the " to="">

Thanks for taking the time to read all this, and I look forward to reading your response.