New Spell-Checker Version 1.1

2007-03-31
2012-11-14
  • Jens Lorenz
    Jens Lorenz
    2007-03-31

Hello Notepad User.

I published a new version of Spell-Checker on http://sourceforge.net/projects/npp-plugins/.
    This version fixes small isuees, but no heavy bugs. Here the changelog:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    07/03/31  v1.1 :
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Fix: Now on W9x platforms the combo box enlarged correctly
        Fix: Dialog boxes are not system modal
        Fix: The configuration is stored in "Spellchecker.ini"
        Fix: Changed typo "Lern" to "Learn"

Best Regards
    Jens

• M. B. Huffman
      M. B. Huffman
      2007-03-31

Would it be possible for "Spellchecker.ini" to have a section that points to the Aspell installation?

Aspell registers its path in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive of the Windows Registry which requires Administrator permissions to patch. When using Notepad++ from a USB drive one does not always have Administrator permissions which makes Aspell, and therefore Notepad++ Spellchecker, unavailable for "normal user" accounts on guest machines.

Perhaps an easier solution would be for Spellchecker to look in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software branch; but I like the ini file idea better.

For me, one of the primary strengths of Notepad++ is the fact that it is "self contained": it keeps all its configuration in local files and does not need any installation. It would be nice if the Spellchecker plugin could continue the tradition.

Thanks, by the way, for the great plugin! In the past I used a VBScript hack to access the MS Word spell check. Slow and clunky, but it worked if MS Word was also on the system (which for me was usually the case).

Mike

• Yes using SpellChecker.ini to find ASPELL could be a good solution in order to use this plug-in with the portable version of NPP.

Yan.

• Shavitos
        Shavitos
        2007-07-09

The use of ini file idea might also help with Aspell version 6.
        This version install the library with the name libapsell.dll while the plug in in expect aspell.dll. This can easily overcome by copying the file to the old name as well.
        Another issue with aspell 6: it can be configured to check spell only "c" string and comments by changing aspell.conf. However, when activated by the plug in this change does not apply. Any idea why? If solved, it can be an easy way to spell check strings and comments instead the effort adding the ability to the plug in itself.

Danny

• Thank you Jens

Mark

• M. B. Huffman
      M. B. Huffman
      2007-04-02

As a proof of concept I modified the LoadAspell() function in aspell.cpp so that it looks for the Registry value "Path" in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Aspell OR HKCU\Software\Aspell (in that order), and it seems to work OK. SpellChecker does not seem to care if Aspell is properly registered, rather it only seems to need to know the path to Aspell.

An added advantage is that if I need Aspell on a machine where I do not have permission to register a program in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE I can still use Aspell via copy-paste into Notepad++.

Mike

• Hello Mike,

I don't belive that HKCU\Software\Aspell work, because there is no reg entry.

I didn't understand your last comment:
      > An added advantage is that if I need Aspell on a machine where I do not have permission > to register a program in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE I can still use Aspell via copy-paste into > Notepad++.

Tell me, how do you copied Aspell into Notepad? Could you send me a complete file/folder list?

Best Regards
      Jens

• M. B. Huffman
      M. B. Huffman
      2007-04-04

Correct, Aspell does not make an HKCU entry. I do that manually on guest systems on a case by case basis IF I need Notepad++ and SpellChecker. The following lines in a batch file take care of everything SpellChecker seems to need:

reg add HKCU\Software\Aspell /f /ve /d "%~d0\Aspell"
        reg add HKCU\Software\Aspell /f /v "Path" /d "%~d0\Aspell\bin"

%~d0 resolves to the drive letter where the batch file is running.

Regarding copy and paste into Notepad++ to spell check:
      Sorry, I guess that was not very clear. Let's say I am entering text in a Web form and I want to spell check it, but I am logged in to a guest account with limited permissions. I make the above Registry entries, fire up Notepadd++, copy the Web form text into Notepad++, run SpellChecker, then copy and paste back into the Web form. Actually, if the text in the form was much over a line or 2 I typically write initially in an editor then paste it into the form.

Another example: on the podium computer in the classroom where I teach I have sufficient permissions to write to HKLM. However, I don't want to leave a global Aspell path entry there after I have removed my USB device that could cause problems or confusion for someone else.

I hope that cleared it up,
      Mike

• Thanks for this plugin but I really want a way to spell-check only the comments and strings in my code.
      Notepad++ can already tell what are comments and what are strings in different languages, so can you get the plugin to just look at those parts of a file?

Thanks

• steakhacher
        steakhacher
        2007-04-20

i agree whith this very intersting sugestion