Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

A very fast tool for reading code - TagsJump

2011-09-12
2012-11-28
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • tronglinh311
    tronglinh311
    2011-09-13

Thank!

• N.V.Nhat Vu
    N.V.Nhat Vu
    2011-09-20

Hi maliayas,

Thank you for your bug report.
    Please let me comfirm.
    1. Did you run on Win7?
    2. If yes, please change C: right so that the plugin can be installed, or you can do as following:
    - Copy TagsJump.dll to C:\Program Files\Notepad++\plugins
    - Copy following files to C:\Program Files\Notepad++\plugins\tagsjump
    install.bat
    uninstall.bat
    ctags.exe
    EXTENDING.html
    README
    COPYING
    ctags.html

Please check.

• mali
    mali
    2011-09-20

1) Yes, it is win 7. Screenshot belong to my virtual xp, but same errors occurs in win 7 too.
    2) That is exactly what I did except that my installation dir is C:\Notepad++\

Thanks,

• N.V.Nhat Vu
    N.V.Nhat Vu
    2011-09-20

Hi maliayas.

Thank you for fast reply.

1) I see.
    2) I understood the problem.
    The plugin was developed with default installation of notepad++.
    I supposed that notepad++ is always installed in C:\Program files\Notepad++.
    Sorry for the inconvenience, but can you re-install notepad++ with default setting?

• N.V.Nhat Vu
    N.V.Nhat Vu
    2011-09-20

Hi maliayas.

I will fix this problem and upload fixed version.
    Please wait.

Thank you.

• N.V.Nhat Vu
    N.V.Nhat Vu
    2011-09-20

I uploaded fixed version.
    https://skydrive.live.com/#!/?cid=ef9e38b65c24abe8&sc=documents&uc=1&id=EF9E38B65C24ABE8%21117

Please check.

• mali
    mali
    2011-09-20

I did and still got same errors. Is it possible that my tags file is in a wrong format? Beacuse I created it myself. The parameters I used are, input folder, output file and -R (which means recursive).

I will read your answer tomorrow (it is 05:00 AM here :))

Thx again

• mali
    mali
    2011-09-20

My last reply is to your num 8 reply. I downloaded the new one and tried in both directories. Unfortunaly no change.

• N.V.Nhat Vu
    N.V.Nhat Vu
    2011-09-20

Hi maliayas.

After downloading latest version, did you install the plugin by run install.bat?
    And installation process is successful or not?
    I tested on my platform and I have no problem.

Is it possible that my tags file is in a wrong format? Beacuse I created it myself. The parameters I used are, input folder, output file and -R (which means recursive).

Can you try with following command?

ctags.exe -h .h.H.hh.hpp.hxx.h++ --sort=yes -n -R .

BTW, generating tags by this command is not recommended, because if you read a very large code,
    searching a definition is slow.

• I get an error when I generate tags for a C# directory.  After this N++ crashes.  I'm using the release920.7z version - all installed as per the batch file.

Also, I presume from the size and the fact there's an assert error, that you're giving out the debug version.  Any chance of a release version?

For plugin manager, it'd be nice to have a version resource added, so that the FileVersion property is filled out with the version of the plugin.

Cheers,
    Dave.

• N.V.Nhat Vu
    N.V.Nhat Vu
    2011-09-20

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your feedback.
    It seems you are running on Win 64bit.
    I developed this plugin for 32 bit, so I haven't tested on 64 bit yet.
    (I don't have neither Win 64bit nor compiler for 64bit.)
    So I have no idea when seeing your message box.
    I will try on win 64bit in the near future.

Thanks.

Nhat Vu

• Frank Fesevur
    Frank Fesevur
    2011-09-20

For my it works fine, using Notepad++ 5.9.3 on a Win7 x64. I manually put the files in the right place.

My first first impression (tested for less then 5 minutes) is that this is the ctags plugin I was looking for!

Maybe you could create yourself an account on the plug-in manager site: http://www.brotherstone.co.uk/npp/pm/admin/ With that manager plug-in installation is much more easy for users.

• N.V.Nhat Vu
    N.V.Nhat Vu
    2011-09-20

Hi Frank,

Thank you for notice.

I registered an account on brotherstone and waiting for accepting.
    I'll upload source and binary after my account is accepted.

• Frank Fesevur
    Frank Fesevur
    2011-09-20

I have some suggestions:

Could you use some flags to store additional information in the tags file? With this when I select a constructor of a class, your dialog can show more information so I can more easily choose the right definition. I have written a ctags plug-in myself a couple of years ago for my then favorite editor and I used these flags: -fields=+i+K+S+l+m+a

Have you tried without the -n flag and used the expression to search for the definition in source file? I don't know if these expressions can be used for a search message of npp/scintilla, but maybe it is worth a try. This way the tags file doesn't have to rely on line numbers. Line number tend to get outdated quickly when you do some coding to a certain file.

When you can't find the tags file, instead of just showing a simple mesagebox make it a yes/no question and ask the user to generate one. When he says yes, you open the generate dialog.

• N.V.Nhat Vu
    N.V.Nhat Vu
    2011-09-20

Hi Frank,

Thank you for advice.
    I'll add that features into the next version.

• Kapil Ratnani
    Kapil Ratnani
    2011-09-20

very nice plugin man!!, the good thing is that, it works way faster than eclipse..(i tested it with a java project of mine).. I suggest to add the references feature, i mean one can see wherever in the project a particular function is called.

• Hi nvnhatvu,
    Thanks for registering and adding your plugin details - I've corrected a couple of things (there's no documentation for the website yet, so no worries - take a look if you like).  Can you add a .zip version to your sourceforge downloads - Plugin Manager can't do 7zip yet.  (Release version would be nice too, as it would make the download significantly smaller)

Also, regardless if it only affects x64, it can't be listed as stable if it crashes N++. 

You don't need an x64 compiler (compiling it for x64 wouldn't do anything anyway as N++ is a 32bit application, and hence requires 32bit DLLs).  ffes said it works on his x64, so maybe it's something else.  I only ticked C# on the solution directory (.cs files were all in a directory below).

If I get chance I'll build it and see if I can debug it.

Cheers,
    Dave.

• Ou… a zip of the source would be good - it's currently all individual files, which is pretty awkward to download.

Thanks!

Dave.

• N.V.Nhat Vu
    N.V.Nhat Vu
    2011-09-21

Hi Dave,

Thank you for advice.
    I uploaded zip versions to sourceforge for binary and source.

Please check.

Thanks,
    Nhat Vu

• N.V.Nhat Vu
    N.V.Nhat Vu
    2011-09-21

Hi Kapil,

Thanks very much for your feedback.
    I'll try to add the references feature at the next time.

Thanks,
    Nhat Vu

• mali
    mali
    2011-09-21

Hi Nhat Vu,

It worked. Thanks for your help. It is a quite useful plugin.

I have 2 feature requests.

* When source file is opened, it would be better if the definition line is scrolled to first line in the viewport.
    * When generating tags, the interface should allow to select more than one input directory and also destination directory for tags file should be selectable in a different text box.

Thanks again.

• N.V.Nhat Vu
    N.V.Nhat Vu
    2011-09-26

Hi Dave, ffes, maliays.

I released new version.

-> Dave: I think I understood the problem in your side. Maybe the access right of Notepad++ directory in your side
    is low. (In previous versions, I used Notepad++ directory to generate the tags file).
    Now I changed to use source directory when generating the tags files.
    Please check on your side.

-> ffes: I add features you noticed except "go to a tag by using regex", because when there are multiple definition
    in a file (with same argument list, …), TagsJump maybe jumps to wrong position.

-> maliayas: I changed to the definition line is the first line of the viewport.

Please check.

Link:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/tagsjump/files/?
    File: TagsJump_v1.1.4_release0924.zip

Thanks.

Nhat Vu.

• Maani
      Maani
      2012-11-28

hello i have gone thru the thread i am facing approx same problem that others are having...
      i have a notepad++ 6.13 unicode version i have been using your tagsjump plugin for a long time and i must say that it is a great plugin that you have created
      i've upgraded my os to windows 7 and now i cant generate tags anymore old tags are working fine when i press alt+q it jumps to definition perefectly fine but when i click generate new tags it gives same error errorcode 2 etc...
      i have download your fixed version and copy paste tagsjump.dll from your zip file from my plugin folder but it cant help me out please please please give me some advise about this i'll be thankful to you :)

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)