Important Changes for Plugin Developers

2011-09-06
2012-11-14
  • The latest batch of updates have just gone live to the Plugin Manager.  Due to limited time, it's been a while since the last set of updates, so apologies to the plugin developers that haven't had their updates pushed out over the last few weeks.

However, things they are 'a changin'.

A few months ago, I put out a request for a web developer to write a small web application to manage the XML for the Plugin Manager.  Within 10 minutes, we had a volunteer.

Pedro (pedro_sland) has worked amazingly hard at this, and we haven't just got a small web application, we've got a very slick management tool, that manages the whole process.  Plugin developers can now request an account, and make their own updates in seconds.  For security purposes, the upload to the live server will still be performed by me, and the same rules will still apply (there must be an announcement on this forum a few days before it goes live, and we will limit the updates to a maximum of around once every 2 weeks, short of any urgent crash-causing issues).

The plugin developers owe a huge thanks to Pedro for his work on this, and it should wipe out the previous delays in updates.  I would also like to publicly say a massive thank you to him, for implementing a system that far exceeds expectations, and for handling all my little (and big) requests. 

I would ask that plugin developers register for an account, so that you can make your updates as and when you have a new version. 

http://www.brotherstone.co.uk/npp/pm/admin

I'll be adding some documentation and maybe a quick video on usage over the coming few days.  Any bugs (what bugs?) you spot, please report them to me - I've stolen enough of pedro's life already…

Thanks again pedro_sland, and if you're a plugin developer or maintainer, please register.

Cheers,
    Dave.

• bbluemel
    bbluemel
    2011-09-06

Hi Dave,

Have registered an account, however cannot log in. (used a lastpass generated password, 12chars alphanumeric+symbol).

Cheers

Ben

• Your account has just been approved.  There's a step where I approve the account, so that only genuine Notepad++ people get an account.

We're improving the message so that's more obvious. 

Dave.

• bbluemel
    bbluemel
    2011-09-06

Cool, cheers, thats now working.

Looks very good so thank you pedro (and you Dave) for getting this going :)

Dave, what do you recommend about the sqlite requirement for my plugin with this interface? You were saying before about making it a "hidden" plugin? 

Cheers

Ben

• Just leave the version numbers blank (for ansi and unicode), but do put install steps (eg. download and copy).  That way it won't be shown, but can be used as a dependency from other plugins. 

In your dependant plugins, just set the dependencies as "sqlite" or whatever you've named the SQLite "plugin".

• bbluemel
    bbluemel
    2011-09-06

Hi Dave,

Done, however it seems to require the version number against the unicode one to put the install steps in the resulting xml file.  (without it, it creates an empty install xml block and crashes notepad++ when trying to install).

Have put a version number in and it works fine.  Probably could just have a tickbox for "3rd party library" or something that creates the install block without a version number being present.

• Frank Fesevur
    Frank Fesevur
    2011-09-14

Dave,

How do I tell the plugin manager only install the database if it doesn't exist yet in the config dir? I don't want to override the user's snippets database with the default database when upgrading to a newer version.

• @ffes,
    There's actually no way directly to do that at the moment. You can however tick the "backup" box, and that will create a backup of the user's file (if it exists) before installing the new version.  That's obviously not ideal in your case though.

I'll try and add this requirement to the list of things for the next version of plugin manager, but that's a while off yet. 

In the meantime, would it not be relatively simple to create "database.db3.template", and in your plugin copy that to "database.db3" if "database.db3" doesn't exist?  I know it's a change to your plugin, but would get around the problem.

Sorry it's not better news.

Dave.

• Mike Foster
    Mike Foster
    2011-09-26

Wow, this is excellent. A huge Thanks! to Pedro.

• Sun Junwen
    Sun Junwen
    2011-09-30

Great work!
    Hope it won't be blocked in China.

• Dave A
    Dave A
    2012-09-08

Dave, is this system still active? (The link is giving a 502 error) I'm going to be rolling out an updated version of my SourceSwitch plugin soon.

Cheers.

• Yes, sorry. I've moved to nginx/spawn-fcgi (from apache), and the spawn-fcgi process seems a bit unstable. I've restarted it and it's going again now.  I'm not sure what the best thing to do is, I'm trying to keep apache off the box.

• Dave A
    Dave A
    2012-09-09

Cheers Dave - I'll register an account right now.

• Dave A
    Dave A
    2012-09-12

Account created and approved, thanks Dave. Also some fantastic work Pedro, site looks great.

• Shaleen Mishra
    Shaleen Mishra
    2012-09-15

Link to registration portal is down Dave !

• Thanks. It's back, and hopefully the on-going issues have been solved.  (php-fpm is now running!)