New plugin: SessionMgr

2011-08-03
2014-10-06
<< < 1 2 3 4 5 > >> (Page 4 of 5)
  • Dan Rathbun
    Dan Rathbun
    2012-06-18

Personally.. I like having the "launch" key" close to the key that brings up the submenu. (S,C) or (M,O) would work.

Also.. I am used to "Select All" being assocaited with "A" becuase it's global shortcut is CTRL+A.

It's so cool, these XML config files. So easy to tweak, and robust.

• Mike Foster
    Mike Foster
    2012-06-20

I had gotten used to "alt-p,s,s". But now, if I have my hand on the mouse, it's convenient to just select with the mouse. Yes, indeed, NPP's customization features allow each person to set it up the way they like it. Yet another great thing about NPP :)

• Dan Rathbun
    Dan Rathbun
    2012-06-20

mike-foster
    I had gotten used to "alt-p,s,s"

I was trying to get across that this would not work if there was another item on the menu (in this case the "Plugins" menu,) that began with "S".

In my case I also have the "Spell Checker" plugin installed, which ALSO has set "S" to be IT's menu accelerator key. So pressing "S" the second time, just moves down to "Spell Checker", instead of select an "S" item from the "Session Manager" sub-menu.

I wonder if there is a list of accelerator keys that are already used for the "Plugins" menu ??  (I see that "E" and "H" are already used.)

• Mike Foster
    Mike Foster
    2012-06-20

Ah - yes you are right

• Anonymous
    2012-09-24

It seems that the current session never changes for me. It always says "default". Whenever I open a different session, it still says "default" and saving the open files to the session doesn't actually save it to the session I last selected.

• Mike Foster
    Mike Foster
    2012-09-28

Hi, sorry for the late reply.

Just curious… what version of Notepad++ do you have and what version of Windows are you running?

I'm not sure what to make of the problem you've described. Maybe Notepad++ doesn't have permission to write in the config folders? or maybe there's some kind of conflict about the location of the config folders. Here's some notes on that…

For plugin configuration Notepad++ will use one of the following locations:

1. %APPDATA%\Notepad++\plugins\config

2. <NPP-INSTALLATION-FOLDER>\plugins\config

To inform Notepad++ to use #2 then create an empty file, named "doLocalConf.xml", in the Notepad++ installation folder.

• light2some
    light2some
    2012-11-21

Hi Mike-Foster!
    Many thanks for the superb plugin!

Often I run NPP at 2 instances and more.
    In each of the instances open its session.
    It would be good the name of the current session is displayed in the NPP,
    such as Title, before the file name:

[SESSION_NAME]FILE_FULL_PATH - Notepad++

Now, when i switch between instances by alt ~, using vista_switcher
    http://images.ntwind.com/vistaswitcher/task_list_670-2.jpg
    I can get the convenience of this list for selection:

[t test_session1] C:\TEST\my_test_file1.txt - Notepad++
    [w work_session1] C:\WORK\my_work_file1.txt - Notepad++
    [m misc_session1] C:\MISC\my_misc_file1.txt - Notepad++

(For 3 instances, Title might look like, for example)

Last edit: light2some 2012-11-21
  • Mike Foster
    Mike Foster
    2013-01-02

Hi light2some, thanks very much! I'm glad you like SessionManager. You have a good suggestion but unless I'm missing something it doesn't look like that can be done from within a plugin. I'm experimenting with a new feature which will display the name of the current session in NPP's status bar in place of the "file type". This will be configurable in SessionManager's Settings dialog. As soon as I have it ready I'll make it available for download.

• Mike Foster
    Mike Foster
    2013-01-05

Actually, I see that it is possible to change the titlebar text from a plugin. I'm experimenting with it.

• Mike Foster
    Mike Foster
    2013-01-13

Session Manager v0.7 is now available at my site. It is not yet available via Plugin Manager because I'd like for a few people to test it first. If anyone posts bug reports (and I really appreciate so many people helping with this) then please let us know your OS, whether it is 32 or 64 bit, and your Notepad++ version. Thanks!

• This is a candidate for version 1.0.
    • The Sessions dialog and the Settings dialog now remember their sizes after being resized.
    • The previous session is now remembered and can be loaded via a new menu option, "Load previous", and a new button on the Sessions dialog, "Previous".
    • The name of the current session is now prepended to the text in the Notepad++ title bar. This is enabled by a new option on the Settings dialog, "Show in title bar".
    • The names of the current and previous sessions are now displayed in the Notepad++ status bar. This is enabled by a new option on the Settings dialog, "Show in status bar".
    • The labels for the Session Manager plugin menu are now optionally defined in the settings.ini file.
    • The setting "Enable 'Load into current'" was renamed to "Load into current". The setting "Disable 'Load without closing'" was simplified to "Load without closing".
    • There is now a folder browse button next to the "Session files folder" edit control on the Settings dialog.

• light2some
    light2some
    2013-01-15

Hi Mike-Foster!

Grand respect for you for the dream that has comes true!

I note small bug (on screenshot below):

File has unsaved changes - SESSION_NAME is gone
    File has unsaved changes - SESSION_NAME is gone...

It will be good put asterisk before (or after) the [SESSION_NAME]:

*[t test_session1] c:\NPP_TEST\TEST\my_test_file1.txt - Notepad++

Last edit: light2some 2013-01-15
  • Mike Foster
    Mike Foster
    2013-01-15

Hi light2some, thank you very much! I will follow-up on the issue you have reported.

• Mike Foster
    Mike Foster
    2013-01-20

I've implemented a work-around for the issue reported by light2some. available here

Session Manager 0.7.1.20130120
    - Issue reported by light2some: When a file is first changed the titlebar text does not get the session prefix. Fix: Update the titlebar text one second after the SCN_SAVEPOINTLEFT Scintilla event (NPP doesn't prepend the "*" until after the event).
    - Upgraded header files from NPP v6.2.3: menuCmdID.h, Notepad_plus_msgs.h, PluginInterface.h and Scintilla.h.
    - [Minor NPP bug?] It's not a problem but I noticed that, in Notepad_plus_msgs.h, NPPN_DOCORDERCHANGED and NPPN_READONLYCHANGED have the same value (NPPN_FIRST + 16). Also, I cannot detect either of these events in my plugin code, even tho NPPM_INTERNAL_DOCORDERCHANGED seems to be handled correctly in the NPP source code.

Last edit: Mike Foster 2013-01-20
  • phobos
    phobos
    2013-02-15

Mike, thanks for this plugin! I like it very much.

I would like to suggest some features (my inspiration comes from Firefox Addon "Session Manager") for future releases.

• In session list there should be a sort option. Sort by date is most useful.
      • item in list should display last save date, number of tabs opened and number of windows opened
    • auto session backup should be a priority (even for default session)
      • user session (current used) should be auto saved (on every exit) to some backup location with timestamps as names (just in case)
      • user could select an auto backup sessions and restore it

• phobos
    phobos
    2013-02-15

Also, I would like to describe my problem from yesterday.
    I had about 30 tabs in split view mode and I needed another instance for some temporary file. Later I needed to restart my computer. First instance (30 tabs) exited first, and second instance had some unsaved changes so it asked me if I wanted to save (I didn't save).
    I restarted, opened Notepad++ and it opened only my second instance (2 tabs). I was sure that SessionManager has AutoSave enabled so I didn't worry, but as it turns out my session (30 tabs) was lost.

Maybe I didn't setup something the right way. I don't know.
    Could you tell me if this use case/behavior is supported or not?

• light2some
    light2some
    2013-02-15

Hi phobos!

For saving of tabs independently between instances (of NPP),
    each instance of NPP should load a dedicated session.
    In your case, for example, may be two sessions:
    session_1_30tabs
    session_2_2tabs

• phobos
      phobos
      2013-02-19

OK! I tried that. When I open notepad++ again files are loaded all right but with "wrong" session in title.
      I'm expecting: [session_1_30tabs] path/to/file.ext
      I'm getting: [default] path/to/file.ext

• light2some
        light2some
        2013-02-19

You should make loading of session via Plugin menu (Sessions -> button "Load") only
        and switch off native NPP setting "Remember current session for next launch".

• MrBig Ouzo
    MrBig Ouzo
    2013-02-15

Hi,
    i use the session manager and the Doc Switcher, everytime i load a session, there is a ghostfile "new 1" there. If i click on it npp jumps to another file and i cant delete this file.

• MrBig Ouzo
    MrBig Ouzo
    2013-02-15

Hi,
    is there a chance session take to the toolbar with icons, so you can quick switch between your favorite sessions ?

• R Massey
    R Massey
    2013-02-20

I just installed 0.7.1. I love having the session name in the title bar. Very cool to help distinguish multiple copies of NPP.

• Mike Foster
    Mike Foster
    2013-03-05

Hi everyone! Sorry for my late reply. I'm glad you like Session Manager, thank you! I'm looking over the new posts now and will start thinking about how to implement your suggestions.

• zac
    zac
    2013-03-07

Hi Mike,

For select my session, i use explorer and when i double click on the session file
    windows launch the npp using the launch command in registry.
    Actually : "C:\Program Files\Notepad++\notepad++.exe" "%1" -multiInst -nosession

Is it possible for you to retrieve the session name and make you're plugin link to it ?
    If you want we can modify the lauch command like :

"C:\Program Files\Notepad++\notepad++.exe" "%1" sessmgr="%1" -multiInst -nosession

what do you thing about this ? Do you thing it's a possible amelioration ?

By,

• shk
      shk
      2013-07-15

I too would benefit from a command line way to invoke a session. I used to do that before installing the Session Manager plugin. I like to have aliases in Cygwin that let me launch multiple instances of NPP each with a different session.

<< < 1 2 3 4 5 > >> (Page 4 of 5)