New plugin: SessionMgr

Mike
2011-08-03
2013-07-15
<< < 1 2 3 4 5 > >> (Page 3 of 5)
  • Ninj
    Ninj
    2012-01-30

Hehe, dont apologize for developing a nice plugin :) It's a beta, people know they use a non finished product, free for them to test&report or just wait. It's my pleasure to help you make this plugin better.

I use a 64bit W7, i dunno if that may change anything. Good luck with exploring the W7 way!

• Ninj
    Ninj
    2012-01-30

An absolutely stupid feature request (but which i would love): could your plugin interact with explorer-like plugins (like "LightExplorer") to restore the opened folder of working session? I guess it would mean to get in touch with other devs to make an interface, so it's likely to remaina a dream ;)

• Peter Knight
    Peter Knight
    2012-02-01

I'm having similar issues as ninjds. I'm also on a windows 7 64bit setup. I tried the portable version of notepad++ as well, in admin mode and even compatibility mode. Issues remain, but I've noticed the following:

if strange characters have been inserted and you try to rename the session, it only works if you click on OK with a mouse click, it doesn't work if you press the enter key on the keyboard. The reverse seems to be true when creating a new session from currently open files. If you use the mouse to click ok, nothing happens, but if you press enter it does work. It seems this isn't the case on subsequent attempts.

This plugin though is brilliant and it's the pivotal missing feature in Notepad++, I can't really use Notepad efficiently without it anymore.

• Mike
    Mike
    2012-02-02

Hi prknight, thanks very much for your report and your awesome comments!

The reports so far do imply that it is somehow related to Win7 64bit.

I have been quite tied up with work for the past week, but I plan to get back on this project very soon. I'm anxious to get this issue fixed!

• jm
    jm
    2012-02-19

mike,

sorry I did not reply with more info, I did not get any email notifying me I got replies so I forgot about it. I have not been using this plugin lately, been surviving with workspaces, but I'll be happy to install a new version and give feedback when you have a new one ready. As others i'm in win7 64b…

cheers

• Mike
    Mike
    2012-03-14

Sorry for the long delay in replying.

I now have Win7 Home Premium (32 bit) running in a virtual box. I have seen some of the secondary problems mentioned but it's possible these are just bugs I introduced in my last bug-fix attempt. However, I have not been able to trigger the main bug - the addition of strange characters. I'm now assuming that bug only shows up in the 64 bit version of Win7. So I'm looking to get a copy of Win7 64 bit.

• Ninj
    Ninj
    2012-03-14

Indeed, i'm convinced it's a 64bit-related problem.

Let us know when you get a hand on W7 64 :)

• pedro_sland
    pedro_sland
    2012-03-14

You may find it easier to try W8 x64. I realise it isn't 7 and it is not released etc. Here is a link to the iso page http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso

• Mike
    Mike
    2012-03-14

Thanks for the link to the Win8 iso - I may try that!

• Mike
    Mike
    2012-03-20

I think I may have fixed it! If anyone would like to give it a spin that would be awesome. This is rev 0.4.1. It is not yet available via the Plugin Manager - I'll wait to verify that it's been fixed. You can get it here:
    http://mfoster.com/npp/download.html

Here are the change notes:
    - Possible bugfix (strange characters in names): I think I have found and corrected this problem.
    - Changed button name from Cancel to Close on the Session Manager dialog.
    - If the session directory specified in the Settings dialog does not exist then it is created.

• Ninj
    Ninj
    2012-03-20

YES.

It works perfectly!

Thank you so much for the good job, i can finally use the last missing must-have plugin :)

Now, it should be dockable and have some quick/easy session switch triggers i think, to make it smooth in everyday use.

• pedro_sland
    pedro_sland
    2012-03-20

Congratulations. Does it feel good to have finally got that one fixed? Did you debug it or was it a 2nd (3rd?) time lucky guess?

• Peter Knight
    Peter Knight
    2012-03-20

It's now working on my end as well, brilliant!

• Mike
    Mike
    2012-03-21

Woo hoo!!! Oh yes, I'm very happy to fix that bug. It wasn't too hard to find after I finally got Win7x64 running - I just started putting debug statements in all the relevant places. This was it…

//buf = SES_MAX_LEN;
            //SendMessage(hEdit, EM_GETLINE, 0, (LPARAM)buf);
            buf = 0;
            GetWindowText(hEdit, (LPTSTR)buf, SES_MAX_LEN);

• Ninj
    Ninj
    2012-03-21

Indeed, when api calls evolve, you get weird bugs ;)

Using it daily now, thanks again!

• Mike
    Mike
    2012-03-22

Got back on-track with rev numbers and added a little something I've been needing. It should be available via PluginManager soon.

v0.6, 21Mar2012
    - The bugfix in the previous release has been confirmed.
    - In the New Session dialog box, clicking one of the options (when the edit field is empty) will populate the edit field with the selected session name.

• Dan Rathbun
    Dan Rathbun
    2012-06-16

Here's a handy tip for quick access the Session Manager.

On the main menu: Settings > Edit Popup ContextMenu
    (Click the OK button to have NPP open your user contextMenu.xml file.)

After the file opens, scroll down to the section beginning:

<!--
       To add plugin commands, .....
    -->

Add just below that comment (and above the lines adding "base64 encode" commands,) the following lines (if your running English and the actual "Session Manager" menu items are in English.):

<Item FolderName="&Session Manager" PluginEntryName="Session Manager" PluginCommandItemName="Sessions..." />
            <Item FolderName="&Session Manager" PluginEntryName="Session Manager" PluginCommandItemName="Settings..." />
            <Item FolderName="&Session Manager" id="0"/>
            <Item FolderName="&Session Manager" PluginEntryName="Session Manager" PluginCommandItemName="Save" />

Now.. restart NPP, and you will now have a "Session Manager" submenu on the right-click popup context menu.

So launch a session:
    Right-Click, M, ENTER

Now.. Mike. A word to the wise, when designing menus for an applet. Windows has built-in key shortcuts for the menu items. But it does not call the item if it is not the only item on the menu that begins with the same letter.
    So by choosing items names that all begin with "S", your short-circuiting this built-in feature.
    What if we had the Session Manager sub-menu like this:

Launcher…
    Options…

Save
    Help
    About…

thots ???

• Dan Rathbun
    Dan Rathbun
    2012-06-16

Actually I booBoo'd a bit: I had the "hotlink" set to the M in "Manager. (that's why said Right-click, M, ENTER.)

In the example above I put the & ampersands in front of the S in "Session". (That causes the selection to jump over the two menu items above it that also begin with "S".)

So, do what you prefer… use the S or the M as the hot-letter by moving the & characters.

:)

• Dan Rathbun
    Dan Rathbun
    2012-06-16

.. and feel free to add this context menu feature to the html Help page, under the Tips & Ideas section.

I'd suggest putting the & before the M, so as not to confuse users who are used to using Rght-click, S, to Select All.

P.S.: For the first item, if you don't like the word "Launcher", find another that does not start with "S", like "Control...", etc. (That may be more descriptive.)

• Dan Rathbun
    Dan Rathbun
    2012-06-16

Oh! I see there IS a way to rename the menu item clones, in the context menu (and specify a different accelerator key.)
    Add an ItemNameAs= attribute, to the Item tag.

<Item FolderName="&Session Manager" PluginEntryName="Session Manager" PluginCommandItemName="Sessions..." ItemNameAs="&Control..."/>
    <Item FolderName="&Session Manager" PluginEntryName="Session Manager" PluginCommandItemName="Settings..." ItemNameAs="&Options..."/>
    <Item FolderName="&Session Manager" id="0"/>
    <Item FolderName="&Session Manager" PluginEntryName="Session Manager" PluginCommandItemName="Save" ItemNameAs="&Save Current Session"/>
     <Item FolderName="&Session Manager" PluginEntryName="Session Manager" PluginCommandItemName="Help" ItemNameAs="&Help"/>
     <Item FolderName="&Session Manager" PluginEntryName="Session Manager" PluginCommandItemName="About..." ItemNameAs="&About..."/>

• Dan Rathbun
    Dan Rathbun
    2012-06-16

This is what the final popup sub-menu looks like (on my machine.)

• Mike
    Mike
    2012-06-17

Hi danrathbun, hey that's awesome, thanks! I'm going to give it a try now.

• Mike
    Mike
    2012-06-17

Oh, btw, I wasn't able to see your screen-shot, but that's ok

• Dan Rathbun
    Dan Rathbun
    2012-06-17

I posted a local copy on a sourceforge Wiki page:

~

• Mike
    Mike
    2012-06-18

I added this tip to the help page here: http://mfoster.com/npp/SessionMgr.html

I experimented with different menu item names. For example, this one uses "verbs" for the first three items:

Open…
    Configure…
    Save Current

Help
    About…

<< < 1 2 3 4 5 > >> (Page 3 of 5)