Bug: code-folding keeps coming back.

2005-10-31
2012-11-13
  • Hi,

Every time I turn off the code-folding, it keeps on coming back. Many different things cause it to come back. For example if you turn it off and then go into options, change any colour setting, press Try it, then the code folding will come back. Please help.

- flozmp

• "Are you an idiot?"

A non english speaker may not be aware of the full meaning of such a statement. Let it slide!

I think the best way to handle this is to disable all of the folding menu items when code folding is turned off. The menu is sufficient reminder that code folding is available. Anyone looking for folding will look everywhere to find it. Anyone not looking for folding will not understand the [+] and [-] symbols any better than the menu items.

I also turn off code folding immediately after install but it hasn't turned itself back on yet.

• It happens to me too. I'm using npp 3.2 on win98se (current program version on not-so-current OS :-)

Just have two files open in npp, say two .html files, and turn off code folding in one of them. All goes well till you click in the other tab (file): the tree for code folding reappears in the just-clicked tab. Then you go back to the other tab, and there it is too!

I wish this setting (show or not the code-folding tree) could be remembered a bit more hardly by the program :-) Those who like having a clean editor layout would appreciate it. Anyway, I can live with this little gotcha.

Not sure if this merits a bug report, though. On other more relevant aspects the program works very well. So kudos for Don, very good work!

Ed More

• You're not sure if this merits a bug report? Are you an idiot?

• Don HO
        Don HO
        2005-11-02

>  You're not sure if this merits a bug report? Are you an idiot?

If I were you, I wouldn't say that.

This behaviour is intended since I want to remind user the existing of folder margin. So it's not a bug.

Don

• You want to make sure they know about how Notepad++ has code folding feature, so you turn it on over and over against their will just so they know how featureful Notepad++ is? I don't understand...

• I'm the idiot you mention so kindly.

Well, I'm not sure about the oportunity of reporting such a bug. This is a minor annoyance, and sure I would like it to be resolved, but the main developer of Notepad++ is probably filled by a lot of not-so-important requests and bug reports from many people. I just don't want to contribute to that flood if there isn't a good reason to do it.

But don't be afraid, I'll end up reporting this bug.

In the meantime I'll stop posting in this forum so you don't get offended by my words. I understand when I'm not welcomed in a place.

Ed More

• Don HO
        Don HO
        2005-11-02

Ed More,

> Not sure if this merits a bug report, though.

You're right about it : this behaviour is intended to keep the fold margin visible. Maybe I should take away the possibility to disable the fold margin.

> I understand when I'm not welcomed in a place.

You're always welcome here.

Don

• Sorry I can't use this software if the Code Folding keeps coming back. It drive me crazy. I turn it off and then it come back.