Notepad++ item in Explorer right-click menu

2005-06-16
2012-11-13
  • fiestaforever
    fiestaforever
    2005-06-16

Hi,

I have a question regarding the Notepad++ item in any file's right-click menu in Explorer.
    This is implemented by a registry key in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Notepad++\Command.
    That implementation conflicts with the MS Office shortcut bar (Office 97-XP). Any link from the shortcut bar will the be opened in Notepad++ instead of running the appropriate program/opening the appropriat file. So I had to delete that registry entry because I rely *heavily* on the Office shortcut bar; I have every program/file/folder I use in the shortcut bar.
    I tried to put it under HKCR\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\<something>. I have several entries there which do exactly the same thing (including one from a very old copy of UltraEdit), but work flawlessly. How could this be accomplished?
    I tried to do it manually, but hit the wall with the "CLSID" thing and "REGSVR32.EXE" which I know nothing about. Everything I could find on the web also instructs to do things like that (usually for NOTEPAD.EXE) the "HKCR\*\shell\<appname>\Command" way. 
    Does it need a change of the program?
    Other than my special problem, I think it would be better to implement it the way I propose. With the current implementation in the program, it's always the very first entry in the context menu, which is often not useful.

BTW: Yes, I know that you can create toolbars/shortcut bars/quick launch bars (I don't know the correct English name for that) in Explorer (Win 98/2000 and up). But that's not an option here.
    (1) I'm using NT 4 where it doesn't work (really; this is my company's computer, I don't have a choice). (2) You can't put nested Explorer toolbars along the complete right or left side of the screen, which you can do with the Office shortcut bar. (3) The Office shortcut bar has a fixed width which keeps you from accidentially resizing it; this happens to me all the time when I use the Explorer bar. For me, the Office bar is clearly superior.

Otherwise: a great program, thanks a lot! I especially like the code folding feature, although I'm not a programmer.

• Don HO
      Don HO
      2005-06-17

> Yes, I know that you can create toolbars/shortcut
      > bars/quick launch bars (I don't know the correct English
      > name for that) in Explorer (Win 98/2000 and up).
      > But that's not an option here.

I'll consider it.

> (1) I'm using NT 4 where it doesn't work

What does not work under NT4 ? Notepad++ v3.0 ?

> You can't put nested Explorer toolbars along the
      > complete right or left side of the screen, which you can
      > do with the Office shortcut bar.

No, you can't. I won't do it since it needs a lot of coding effort.

> I tried to put it under HKCR\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\<something>.
      > I have several entries there which do exactly the same
      > thing (including one from a very old copy of UltraEdit),
      > but work flawlessly. How could this be accomplished?

I did try it and me niether, I have no idea for accomplishing it. If anyone else knows how to do it, please post here.

Don

• fiestaforever
      fiestaforever
      2005-06-17

> > Yes, I know that you can create toolbars/shortcut 
      > > bars/quick launch bars (I don't know the correct English 
      > > name for that) in Explorer (Win 98/2000 and up). 
      > > But that's not an option here.

> I'll consider it.

? I didn't want to suggest a new toolbar.

> > (1) I'm using NT 4 where it doesn't work 

> What does not work under NT4 ? Notepad++ v3.0 ?

No,  Notepad++ v3.0 works fine under NT4 (as far as I can tell. Windows toolbars /quick launch bars  (whatever the name is)  don't work (as they rely on the IE4+ shell enhancements).

> > You can't put nested Explorer toolbars along the 
      > > complete right or left side of the screen, which you can 
      > > do with the Office shortcut bar.

> No, you can't. I won't do it since it needs a lot of coding effort.

? I didn't want to suggest recoding Windows explorer :-)

> > I tried to put it under HKCR\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\<something>. 
      > > I have several entries there which do exactly the same 
      > > thing (including one from a very old copy of UltraEdit), 
      > > but work flawlessly. How could this be accomplished?

> I did try it and me niether, I have no idea for accomplishing it. If anyone else knows how
      > to do it, please post here.

*That's* the only thing I wanted to propose. Hope somebody will know a way.

• I like that feature of opening any file in windows explorer from context menu, and with version 3.1 of notepad++ this ability disapeared. In notepad++ 2.8 i could mark a checkbox if i wanted to place "notepad++" in explorer context menu. now i can't see this option. i had to install old version first, mark a checkbox, then install new version over the old one..

Could you place again that option into installer?

• Stepho
      Stepho
      2005-09-08

> fiestaforever
      An other way to handle right-click menu items, is to use something called a hook or a "context menu handler" (I think). I don't know the specifics, I've never write one myself; but, it's usually a small DLL that must be registered somewhere in the registry.

• Don HO
        Don HO
        2005-09-14

> ... something called a hook or a "context menu handler"

You're right. I think the "context menu handler" (a small dll) is the final solution for the context menu entry.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about it. If anyone have the experience on it and want to do the contribution, you are very welcome.

Don

• I was using 3.1 version fine and liked the right-click option in the explorer shell, that could open any file by selecting it from the very top option. Now it's been taken out in 3.2. Why? I thought that was a main feature.

• Try OpenExpert (free) from this page-
      http://www.baxbex.com/products.html

• Don HO
        Don HO
        2005-09-29

I don't see what's the advantage to install this freeware since it does the same thing as "Sent To".

Don