Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

How can I stop opening all these files?

2. Help
Pilgrim
2013-09-22
2013-09-27
  • Pilgrim
    Pilgrim
    2013-09-22

I use Notepad++ on Windows 7, and I really like it. However, I keep running into a problem - the file tab is too cluttered on startup!

I have unchecked the box to remember session for next launch, and most of the time that works, whether I open a file or just run the program. However, I keep a text file in my Startup folder, a place to put reminders of things. That way, I see it every time I boot my computer. But when Notepad++ starts up in this method, it opens everything on the recent files list - sometimes in several different windows rather than as a tabs in a single window.

I don't want to lose my reminder file, and I don't want to associate .txt files with another program. How can I fix this?

• Pilgrim
    Pilgrim
    2013-09-26

Bumping. Anybody know how to stop this?

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2013-09-26

Hi Pligrim,

what happens if you instruct Notepad++ not to save recent files history?
    Also, which version are you using?

BR,
    Loreia

• Pilgrim
    Pilgrim
    2013-09-27

I already have that option selected as well - "Don't check at launch time" under Recent File History. I'm using version 6.3.3.

Also, just noticed today that it isn't, in fact, opening all recent files, because a file I created last night wasn't there. It looks like it's the same group that I had before unchecking the session remembrance box. I'm going to try following up on that, I'll post my results.

EDIT: Facepalm Okay, I feel really stupid. I should have checked all that before...

Turns out the problem wasn't with Notepad++. I hadn't been checking my file paths properly. Notepad++ was saving a bunch of files into my Startup folder since that's where I had the original text file. Moved them to my documents folder where they should have been, and the problem was solved.

Last edit: Pilgrim 2013-09-27
  • Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2013-09-27

EDIT: Facepalm Okay, I feel really stupid. I should have checked all that before...
    Turns out the problem wasn't with Notepad++. I hadn't been checking my file paths properly. Notepad++ was saving a bunch of files into my Startup folder since that's where I had the original text file. Moved them to my documents folder where they should have been, and the problem was solved.

Good to hear, because it sounded like a serious bug.

BR,
    Loreia