Open Current Dir Cmd missing from Run menu

Andy15
2014-01-14
2014-01-16
  • Andy15
    Andy15
    2014-01-14

I have 2 computers running Windows 7 64 bit.
    Older computer has Notepad++ version 6.5.2 and when I click on Run it shows "Open current dir cmd" as one of the menu items.

On the new computer I installed Notepad++ version 6.5.3 by running the installer but it does not include the "Open current dir cmd" in the Run menu. So, I uninstalled Notepad++ 6.5.3 and installed version 6.5.2. But I still do not have the "Open current dir cmd" item in the Run menu.

Any suggestions to fix this problem would be appreciated.

• Shut down N++, go into c:\users\{your username}\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++ and rename the file "shortcuts.xml" to something else. Then restart N++ (this will regenerate shortcuts.xml). You should now have the "Open current dir cmd" in the Run menu.

If you had any macros or other commands, you will have to move them from the old shortcuts.xml to the new one.

• Andy15
    Andy15
    2014-01-14

Hi Andreas,

I followed your instructions. Notepad++ did generate a new shortcuts.xml file.
    Unfortunately, the newly generated shortcuts.xml file looks identical to the old shortcuts.xml file.
    It contains:
    Launch in Firefox
    Launch in IE
    Launch in Chrome
    Launch in Safari
    Get php help
    Google Search
    Wikipedia Search
    Open file
    Open in another instance
    Send via Outlook
    But it does not include Open current dir cmd

• I see now by reading the sourcecode that shortcuts.xml is actually completely irrelevant. These two commands always get added to the menu when N++ starts.

Are you absolutely sure you're running version >= 6.5.2? Try the self-contained .zip release of 6.5.3 and see if it works. This is very strange.

• Andy15
    Andy15
    2014-01-16

Andreas,
    I uninstalled Notepad++ v6.5.2. Then I downloaded the 6.5.3 zip file and extracted the files. Then I started Notepad++ from the extracted files.

I got the same result, the Run menu does not contain "Open current dir cmd".

I did not mention in my previous post that the Run menu does contain a "Run.." entry and a "Modify shortcut command ..." entry in addition to the items from the shortcuts.xml file.

Can you think of any other suggestions?

• THEVENOT Guy
    THEVENOT Guy
    2014-01-16

Hello Andy15, Andreas, and All,

From older versions until the 6.5.1 version of N++, the commands to open the file's folder in explorer or cmd were located in menu Run\Open containing folder and in menu Run\Open current dir cmd

BUT, since the 6.5.2 version of N++, as indicated in #2 of the 6.5.2 change.log file :

2.  Make 2 external commands as build-in commands: Open containing folder in Explorer/cmd

these two commands are build-in commands, located in menu File\Open Containing Folder\Explorer and in menu File\Open Containing Folder\cmd

Cheers,

guy038

Last edit: THEVENOT Guy 2014-01-16
  • Andy15
    Andy15
    2014-01-16

Thanks Guy,

"File\Open Containing Folder\cmd" solves my problem!

I notice that in v6.5.2 that I have on another computer "Open current dir cmd" is in the shortcuts.xml file.
    The "File\OpenContaining Folder" tab is available also.

So I guess "Open current dir cmd" was removed from the shortcuts.xml sometime after I installed v6.5.2 on the other computer.

Andy

Last edit: Andy15 2014-01-16