Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Unwanted scrolling when switching tabs

2. Help
2011-03-18
2012-11-13
  • farix tartu
    farix tartu
    2011-03-18

This BUG appeared from nowhere. When I have multiple tabs open and I switch between them, they automatycally scroll up to the top of the document. This is driving me mad, because I have to scroll down every time when I change tabs..and we do that alot eh? Yesterday everything worked fine…now it just appeared with every language and with every tab. I searched with plugins and everything…maybe I have some tweak "turned on",but im giving up..just cant find how to fix it.
    Added screenshot:

• farix tartu
    farix tartu
    2011-03-19

anyone?? please..how to fix this??

• cchris
    cchris
    2011-03-20

What plugins do you exactly have?
    Try renaming the plugins folder. If this solves the problem, you are left with enabling/disabling plugins one at a time to find which one is causing the behaviour.

CChris

• farix tartu
    farix tartu
    2011-03-22

I found out something very interesting. It seems that this is not caused by some of the plugins, when I rename the plugins folder, it still does the same thing with word wrap on. I use these:

However I found out that when my notepad++ window is small on desktop like this:

It works perfectly - no random scrolling (maybe just 2-3lines upwards).

But when I use half-screen feature on windows 7 or when viewed  like screenshot on first post, this problem reappears.

Dunno.. I bet this is something to do with windows or notepad++ registy..because before thet problem didn't exist.. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling..still the same problem.. I hope the screens help..

• farix tartu
    farix tartu
    2011-03-23

anyone?

• orecalimo
    orecalimo
    2011-11-28

I have this exact problem: it only happens when notepad is in full screen mode or in windows 7 "stuck" to the side of the screen (the windows + arrow key thing). muy irritanto.

• orecalimo
    orecalimo
    2011-11-28

Contrary to my last statement, it also happens when the window is larger than a certain size. muy muy irritante.

• BugA
    BugA
    2011-11-29

I can confirm this unwanted scrolling, too, and I haven`t change any settings from default. It is very uncomfortable to work like this, please fix it… :(

• BugA
    BugA
    2011-11-29

It looks like this happens only when View > Word wrap is turned ON (maybe some wrong calculations going on with Word wrap turned ON, causing that position of the screen is wrongly calculated). Turning it OFF makes the problem go away… but I need Word wrap :(

• Closed Office
    Closed Office
    2011-12-11

This isn't a bug. It's done that for as long as I've been using it. I do need word wrap too.

My work around is to drag a tab off to the desktop. It will open by itself. This actually works better than going between tabs for me. The tab has to be saved or you can't drag it off the main window.

The scrolling in the second window is completely independent from the first one. It stays right where you left it.

• orecalimo
    orecalimo
    2011-12-11

Maybe you're thinking of a technical definition, but it sure sounds like a bug to me.

• Closed Office
    Closed Office
    2011-12-12

Well if it's a bug, it's not a mayfly. It's been doing this for 3 years, through a lot of different versions. It seems more like a feature now.

Did that help farik? Being able to open a tab as a new window?

• orecalimo
    orecalimo
    2011-12-12

If this was a browser, and switching tab made a scrollbar jump to the top of the page - would that be considered a 'feature'? If you were reading a several pages of text, would you like to spend 10-15 seconds refinding your place each time you switched back to a tab? This is not a 'feature' because it is not desireable in *any* situation of tabbed browsing or editing. I would prefer not to have to use a workaround (but thanks for suggesting one), let's make this get recognised as a bug and fixed.

• BugA
    BugA
    2011-12-12

I completely agree with orecalimo. Tabs are one of the reasons I use Notepad++ for, and if I need to use a workaround to get rid of them, then I see no point in it.

Please devs fix this, as I believe it is not a big issue, only some silly row miscalculation bug, and it influences user experience big time :(

• Closed Office
    Closed Office
    2011-12-15

First I should mention that I'm not trying to argue. I can't take this as seriously as seems to be happening here.

But there are a couple more thoughts that might be relevant. Just because this has been happening for the 3 years I've been using it, I assume that the developer knows about it. I also assume that it might not be easy to fix, or it might have been done already.

And even if it was fixed, I'd still use the second window because I think that is easier than switching tabs. It might be just in my case, but normally I have one window of np++ with my text, and another with my html page. I'll be copying and pasting the text between the paragraph tags. Those will be the only 2 windows I'm using while doing that. It just works extremely well to have them both open and in full view. Give it a try if you are doing anything remotely like that.

This software already has about 50 times as many features as notepad. I've only used about 6 text editors, but none of them has been nearly as good. I appreciate what it has to offer.

Thank you (whoever developed this)

best wishes