Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

EXPERT HELP NEEDED. MISSING COMMA FROM SUBTITLE TIMING.

2. Help
Naz
2014-08-12
2014-08-12
  • Naz
    Naz
    2014-08-12

I translated a SRT file (from English to Malay, for an education video) using Google Translate. There would be some differences in the translated version but I can handle most of them using the 'replace' function and some editing. However, this one problem bugs me.

The problem relates with the timing of the subtitle. The original looks like this (example):

00:00:00,199 --> 00:00:05,095
    In the previous lesson, we have talked about four stroke petrol engine.

This would be the translated version:

00:00:00199 --> 00:00:05095
    Dalam pelajaran yang lalu, kita telah bincang tentang enjin petrol empat lejang. (This is Malay language)

Notice that the comma in between the last 5 digits is missing (00:00:00,199 becomes 00:00:00199). I know I can edit this manually but it would cost me time to do so. If there is a way/short cut to add in the comma, I would very much appreciate your help.

THANK YOU in advance and have a great day ahead. Cheers!

• THEVENOT Guy
    THEVENOT Guy
    2014-08-12

Hello Naz,

A simple search/replacement, in regular expression mode, should be enough to solve your problem :-)

• Open the Search/replacement dialog ( CTRL + H )

• Type (:\d\d)(\d\d\d) in the Find what zone

• Type \1,\2 in the Replace with zone

• Eventually, check the Wrap around square box

• Select the Regular expression search mode

• Click on the Replace All button

Et voilà ! A comma has been inserted, after the two digits, for seconds and before the last three digits, whatever is the value of each of them :-)

Notes :

• The form \d represents any digit from 0 to 9

• The syntax \1 stands for the group 1 :\d\d ( a colon + 2 digits ), placed between round brackets

• The syntax \2 stands for the group 2 \d\d\d ( 3 digits ), placed between round brackets

Best Regards

guy038

Last edit: THEVENOT Guy 2014-08-13