Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Better Build Instructions

2. Help
2005-08-17
2012-11-13
  • The instructions how to build notepad++ yourself are somewhat minimalistic.

I presume that it's easy to build if you use visual studio cause a project file is provided.

But if you don't have visual studio for whatever reason it would be nice if there was some more information available about how to build notepad++ with mingw. What do we need and how do we do it. Now we are just told that it can be build with mingw but not exacly how.

A little more information about it would be great. Or maybe I can not find the insturction, in that case I hope somebody could give me some pointers to them.

• for example can a configure file be included so we can build notepad++ with autoconf and automake...

• Don HO
      Don HO
      2005-08-25

A makefile for MinGW comes with the source package (in the "gcc" directory).

All you have to do is type "make" under this directory.

here's the updated makefile for v3.1 :
      http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/commun/misc/makefile

Don

• Thank you. Never came to mind that the makefile could be slightly outdated. (Should have thought of that)

I Still think that the build insructions included could be made a little clearer than they are at this time.

• Any chance we could get a Dev-C++ project file. It's default compiler is MinGW there shouldn't be any compatibility problems. It's only a matter of getting all the options right. Unlike MinGW, Dev-C++ is a complete installable IDE.