Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Keeping cursor column position when inserting

2. Help
Mangocrate
2009-07-21
2013-03-25
  • Mangocrate
    Mangocrate
    2009-07-21

In my continuing migration from Textpad, I have another problem:

When inserting data in multiple lines NP++ currently moves directly down from the current cursor position when I press the down arrow:
    ..X.............
    ...X............
    ....X...........
    .....X..........
    ......X.........
    .......X........
    ........X.......
    .........X......
    ..........X.....
    ...........X....
    ............X...

What I'd like to do is be able to move down after inserting the X and be in the same column position  as I was previously - Textpad works like this and is very handy to quickly modifying rows of data.
    ..X.............
    ..X.............
    ..X.............
    ..X.............
    ..X.............
    ..X.............
    ..X.............
    ..X.............
    ..X.............
    ..X.............
    ..X.............

• cchris
      cchris
      2009-08-26

Ask for this on IdeaTorrent, I can't see OTOH how to emulate this

CChris

• cchris
      cchris
      2009-07-22

Define a macro which does <Left arrow> <Down arrow>, and use this instead of plain down arrow when writing in a column. Perhaps the column editor can do that for you, in simple cases.

CChris

• spocko
        spocko
        2009-08-26

CChris, that's not an equivalent solution. What if you need to insert more than 1 character in each line? TextPad handles this automatically. When you press the down arrow, it goes to the same column where you started your edit on the previous line. Other editors do this too, not just TextPad. This is really handy when doing certain types of editing. It would be really nice if NPP could do this, at least as a configurable option.

• Longtrail
    Longtrail
    2013-03-25

https://sourceforge.net/p/scintilla/feature-requests/796/

I'd really like to see this implemented also, it's a really useful feature in Textpad. Once the feature is gone you really miss it, that additional left mouse click is really annoying (I'm lazy!)...

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2013-03-25

Hi,

in Notepad++ the same thing is achieved with vertical selection functionality.
    Just use SHIFT+ALT+ARROW (up or down arrow), or ALT+mouse. After selecting several lines, type what you want in all lines at once.

BR,
    Loreia