Amharic Support

2009-04-28
2012-11-13
  • Josiah Solomon
    Josiah Solomon
    2009-04-28

Greetings

Is there a plugin for Amharic in Notepad++? If not can you show me some other sample languages that have plugins and how it is done?

Thank you

• cchris
      cchris
      2009-04-29

Ok, here it is. I should have changed my localisation to englihs first, I guess.

1/ There is a Settings menu in N++, with 3 entries
      2/ The second one is Srtler configurator...
      3/ The dialog box that pops up on selecting the entry has a list on its left. The first item there is Global style.
      4/ The second list then has many items; the second one is Default style.
      5/ On the Font style on the right, there is a dropdown list that displays all available fonts. Chosse one that displays amharic script properly.

Hopefully you can go ahead fro there.

CChris

• Josiah Solomon
        Josiah Solomon
        2009-04-30

Aha ! Got it Chris! Thank you very much. This will help a lot. I LOVE N++

• cchris
      cchris
      2009-04-28

It depends on what you mean by "support":

1/ In order to display amharic characters, N++ needs to be set up with a font that can display them. Check Preferences -> Highlight cinfigurator -> Global style, and make sure the font being used there is amharic aware.
      Now I remember that Windows had not supported the amharic script in its earlier versions. If you use a version older than XP, then that could be an issue, and N++ won't help.

2/ If what you need is a translation of N++ (localisation),, then check
      the localization\ subfolder. It already has some files for non western languages that should help you getting the idea. Instructions for translators are provided on the N++ homepage at
      http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/translation-HOWTO.php

Changing "uk" to other country codes will point to translations for this page, perhaps there is one more suitable than english.

3/ If thie support you request is something else, we need to hear more.

CChris

• Josiah Solomon
        Josiah Solomon
        2009-04-28

thank you very much! I will check out all that you suggest and get back to you. Also I want to contribute Amharic xml file for Notepad ++. How do I go about doing that.

Thanks!

• Josiah Solomon
        Josiah Solomon
        2009-04-29

Check Preferences -> Highlight cinfigurator -> Global style, and make sure the font being used there is amharic aware.

where is that again? Looked everywhere in Notepad

Thanksssssssss

• cchris
      cchris
      2009-04-28

That's exactly what the link in my 2/ point says :-)

CChris

• Josiah Solomon
        Josiah Solomon
        2009-04-28

woohoo! awesome CChris .

Thank you much