Notepad Plus Plus Audio alert sounds absent in Windows 7 64bit

2012-12-20
2013-03-07
  • Michel Merlin
    Michel Merlin
    2012-12-20

Notepad Plus Plus Audio alert sounds absent in Windows 7 64bit

I have used Notepad Plus Plus for years, but on the new laptop I am moving to right now, when a Search finds no occurrence, NPPP fails to emit the expected alert sound.

My old PC does emit that sound. Both PCs are running side to side right now so I can easily check. I browsed the Settings on both PCs and looked for a settings that would fix this, found nothing relevant.

• Old PC is Windows XP Pro Multilingual, Notepad++ 6.2.2 UNICODE (Uniwill 223ei0, Pentium M760 2.00GHz, 2GB)

• New PC is Windows 7 64bit Ultimate, Notepad++ 6.2.2 UNICODE (Acer TimelineX 3820TG, i5-480, 8GB)

TIA to anyone who could help me on that.

Versailles, Thu 20 Dec 2012 17:12:00 +0100

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-12-20

HI Michel,

try to verify alerting sound options in your Control panel.

BR,
    Loreia

• Michel Merlin
      Michel Merlin
      2012-12-20

I didn't find what you say. Please explain

Loreia2 (16:32 GMT) wrote:
      try to verify alerting sound options in your Control panel.

IOW you are telling me to do exactly what I reported ("I browsed the Settings...").

In Notepad++ Menu there are 12 items (File, Edit, Search, View, Encoding, Language, Settings, Macro, Run, Plugins, Window, ?). None is "Control Panel", so I have to search one level more, i.e. maybe 144 items. Then another level to eventually find "alerting sound options" (if ever that wording is exact). All this, to find something you perfectly know where it is (or you wouldn't post this at all, would you?). It would be probably more efficient if you spent the short time to retrieve ONCE something you KNOW (say 1 minute searching) than having eventually A DOZEN interested readers NOT knowing what and where it is hence spending TEN MINUTES each searching (most probably in vain) where could be "Control panel" and "alerting sound options" (assuming these wordings were accurate).

More efficient is the way used by helpful people, for (fictive) instance:

« To make the selected part more visible when editing HTML source in Notepad++, I suggest (in Notepad++ 6.2.2 UNICODE) to click "Settings > Style Configurator > Default (stylers.xml) > Global Styles > Selected text colours" then for "Foreground colour" choose red (click the colored square, More colours, RGB = 204, 0, 0) and for "Background colour" choose lime (RGB = 0, 255, 0).

TIA to normal reader who would spend the time to post a real answer.

Versailles, Thu 20 Dec 2012 18:18:00 +0100

Last edit: Michel Merlin 2012-12-20
  • Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2012-12-20

WOW, just WOW !!!!!!!

You need to:
    a) change your addittude
    b) change OS settings, not application settings
    c) see a)

Now, you can do b) by:
    1. Click start button
    2. Select Control Panel
    3. Select Sound
    4. Select Sounds tab
    5. Change sound scheme to "Windows default"

That should do the trick. If not, ask again, but only after you master points a) and c)

BR,
    Loreia

• Michel Merlin
    Michel Merlin
    2013-03-06

Anyone knows how to restore Notepadd++ alert sounds under Windows 7?

I just found your post "Loreia2" 2012-12-20.

A. I don't suspect you for one second to believe I wouldn't have included your b1-b5 in my tries.

B. Would you apply your own word («change your "addittude"»), you would have understood that a real careful visitor is assuming you were writing correctly and carefully, so that for him, "your Control panel" did NOT mean "your Windows Control Panel" (which would BTW assume an ignorant careless visitor, see §A above) but was appropriately taken as targeting something called "Control panel" in Notepad++.

Now in case you really have an idea to help solving this, please feel free to explain it normally (i.e. with normal precision and clarity), whether in Notepad++ or in Windows.

C. While again recommending you, Loreia, to apply your own word («change your "addittude"»), I repeat my quest (rather normal IMO in such case):

TIA to normal reader who would spend the time to post a real answer.

Versailles, Wed 06 Mar 2013 16:43:00 +0100

• Loreia2
    Loreia2
    2013-03-06

WOW, just WOW !!!!!!!

I can only quote myself and shake head in total disbelief. Do you always insult people you ask help from? After three months you come back with even more insults, spamming my mailbox again. I am on a business trip, writing this from hotel room, I have very limited time for forum help section, and then I have to spend time reading most ungrateful whining from someone who who doesn't know:
    a) what Control panel is
    b) to politely ask, "please explain what Control panel is, I didn't understand that part"
    Just WOW !!
    I don't normally communicate with rude and arrogant people, but I guess answering this might help someone using Google and looking for the same answer.

Now, you can do b) by:
    1. Click Windows start button
    2. Select Control Panel (Yes, WINDOWS Control panel)
    3. Select Sound
    4. Select Sounds tab
    5. Change sound scheme to "Windows default"

If step 5 didn't work out, than try selecting option "No Sounds". That one WILL work, but keep in mind that this setting is not application specific, it will mute ALL alerting sounds on your Windows 7 machine.

BR,
    Loreia

P.S.
    For the future reference, I am going to treat you posts as spam if you continue your rude and ungrateful act. Take into account that no one besides me bothered to answer your rude call to a "normal reader", this speaks volumes about how rude you are. So, if you still can't master sound settings of your OS, please seek help elsewhere, internet is a big place.

• Michel Merlin
    Michel Merlin
    2013-03-06

Where in Notepad++ are set the links from NPPP events to Windows sounds?

A - By tries and errors on my old PC, I found that the sound Notepad++ plays when CTRL+F finds NO occurrence, is the one set in "Windows XP Pro Multilingual > Start > Settings > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds > Program events > Windows > Default Beep", which (in my current XP personal "Sound scheme: xxx" as well as in "Sound scheme: Windows Default") is "C:Windows\Media\Windows XP Ding.wav" (17,132 Bytes, Wed 04 Aug 2004 13:00:00, 352kbps, 16bit, mono, 22,050Hz, 0.4 seconds, PCM).

Disabling or enabling it duly disables or enables the sound at stake in Notepad++ (Unicode, now 6.3).

B - Now on my newer PC, in "Windows 7 Ultimate > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Sounds > Program events > Windows > Default Beep", the sound set (in my current W7 personal "Sound Scheme: yyy" as well as in "Sound Scheme: Windows Default") is "C:\Windows\Media\Windows Ding.wav" (191,788 Bytes, Wed 10 Jun 2009 22:40:28, 187KB, 1411kbps, 16bit, 44,100Hz, Stereo, 1.1 seconds).

Disabling or enabling it doesn't change the facts that Notepad++ (Unicode, now 6.3) plays NO sound in the case involved (when CTRL+F finds NO occurrence).

Whence my need, which is to 1st know where, inside Notepad++, is the user control over the links between Notepad++ events and Windows sounds. Sorry for the lengths and details that were apparently needed.

NB1. Loreia2 in his lengthy rant of Wed 06 Mar 2013 16:44 GMT repeated his b1-b5 of Thu 20 Dec 2012 20:19 GMT and even detailed it, still not admitting it was irrelevant and missing my §A about it on Wed 06 Mar 2013 15:43 GMT.

NB2. Readers eventually interested will make their own opinion as to who is more deserving the words "insult(s)", "spamming", "ungrateful", "whining", "someone who who doesn't know (sic)", "rude", "arrogant", or (please don't laugh) "politely". Oh I am not shocked or surprised or worried, I have seen many things already (I am 72, have employed thousands, taught hundreds engineers as University prof, written entire large apps in 2D and 3D modeling, numerical analysis, raised 4 kids now in high positions), and I know that the good widely outnumbers the bad, everywhere even inside the ones who may at some time throw (and deserve, both generally happen at the same time) words like the above ones.

Versailles, Wed 06 Mar 2013 22:51:00 +0100

• Don HO
    Don HO
    2013-03-07

@Loreia:
    This forum definitively needs the social network buttons to "like" or "+1" your posts ;)

@Michel Merlin:
    Your age, your rich professional experiences and your (or your children's) high social position don't give you the legitimacy to talk people with such manner, especially as you expect the answer from people who own you nothing. Everyone on this forum is volunteer to answer the questions without even expecting a small "Thank you" from you, being cordial is the least thing you can do.

Don

Last edit: Don HO 2013-03-07