Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Cannot get Japanese and Chinese characters to display

2. Help
Embo64
2013-04-11
2013-04-20
  • Embo64
    Embo64
    2013-04-11

I’m trying to copy Japanese and Chinese text from an Excel file into Notepad++ 6.3.2.

I have the encoding set to UTF-8 without BOM. The Asian character text is displaying as boxes.

I tried selecting that text and choosing Japanese/Chinese from the Character Sets dropdown, but that just changes the shape of the boxes. I checked the Style Configurator under Preferences: theme is Default, Language is Global Sytles, Style is Global override, Font Style is Courier New, Font size is 10, none of the checkboxes are checked.

A co-worker has Notepad++ v.5.9.8 and has no issue with these characters displaying. I tried downloading that version instead and am still have the display issue.

I really need to get this to work! Do I have to have a special font or character set or something installed on my computer? Do I need a plugin of some sort? These characters display just fine in Word, Excel, and Windows system notepad.

Thanks!

• Michel Merlin
    Michel Merlin
    2013-04-11

Precision about OS, Excel, Japanese, Chinese tools?

Please could you tell as precisely as possible what OS and version you have (e.g. mine is Windows 7 64bit Ultimate).

If you have Windows (particularly if XP or earlier), have you installed the Language packs for Chinese and Japanese? which ones (traditional, simplified, etc)?

Which versions of Excel were used to create and edit the file?

Finally please could you attach the Excel file involved (or a short excerpt as soon as it contains all the context one needs to fully understand the problem).

Versailles, Thu 11 Apr 2013 20:26:00 +0200

Last edit: Michel Merlin 2013-04-11
  • Embo64
    Embo64
    2013-04-11

I am running Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3. I have not installed language packs, but if the characters are displaying in Word and Excel...? Do I need to enable editing languages in Office for some reason? Not sure why that would affect Notepad++.

Not sure what version of Excel was used to create the file, but I'm opening and copying from (and the characters are displaying in) Excel 2007.

I'm not at liberty to attach the Excel file, but attached please find some further documentation of my issue.

Thanks!

Attachments
  • cchris
    cchris
    2013-04-13

Can't you provide a spreadsheet with some japanese (not the original text of course) exhibiting the problem on copy and paste?
    One thing I'd do is to
    - check the encoing for the target document (utf8? ucs2-le? anything else?)
    - use a hex editor to compare what was copied and what was pasted
    - use a clipboard manager (I like clcl) to check what is inside clipboard and what gets pasted.
    Then we'd get a clearer idea of what is going on.

CChris

• Embo64
    Embo64
    2013-04-15

The problem is not with the Excel file. The Japanese characters render just fine in that source document. The issue occurs when I try to paste those characters that I've copied from the Excel into Notepad++. The encoding for the "target document" (i.e. the Notepad++ file) is UTF-8 without BOM. As I stated above, when I simply paste those characters into a Word doc or even a Windows notepad doc, they render just fine. They just show up as squares in Notepad++. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I need to change/update/alter in Notepad++ to get these characters to display properly?

• Embo64
    Embo64
    2013-04-15

Also, it appears that the issue is only affecting the way the characters are displayed in Notepad++, the actual data of what the characters are is stored in those squares. Meaning that, when copied again (out of Notepad++) and pasted into my CMS, the characters render correctly.

• cchris
    cchris
    2013-04-20

Does using Edit -> Ckipboard operations -> Paste binary help?

CChris