Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

replace icons in .zip version

2. Help
2005-11-29
2012-11-13
  • i'm a guy who just hates installers. so i got the .zip version and i can't change the tool bar icons, coz there's no notepad++ folder in application data. any ideas?

• >E:\

Requiring a full path makes it non portable. In some cases, using .\path is sufficient.

• Don HO
      Don HO
      2005-11-29

Remove "doLocalConf.xml" will do it.

Don

• Thanks for the reply Don, so i deleted doLocalConf.xml then i copied the icon folder and toolbarIcons.xml inside the notepad++ folder.  editted icontoolBar.xml to point to the new icon folder, but it still didn't work. i might be doing something wrong, but i don't have a clue.  need help. Thanks.

• Don HO
        Don HO
        2005-11-30

> so i deleted doLocalConf.xml then i copied the
        > icon folder and toolbarIcons.xml inside the notepad++ folder

In this case, copy the toolbarIcons.xml in the %USERDATA%\Notepad++ directory. Don't forget check "Big icons" in Menu View->Toolbar.

Don

• Weird.  when i type that in run promt, i get a message back saying windows cannot find %USERDATA%/Notepad++
      I really appreciate you helping me out.

• Paulius
        Paulius
        2005-11-30

It should be %APPDATA%\Notepad++ not %USERDATA%\Notepad++ :)

• thanks for your input Paulius, but going back to my first message %APPDATA%\Notepad++ would take you to the Notepad++ folder which resides in the Application Data folder. That does not exist when you use the .zip version of notepad++.  this whole discussion is about an alternative way, if at all possible.

• Paulius
        Paulius
        2005-11-30

You must first delete doLocalConf.xml file from %ProgramFiles%\Notepad++, then you must run Notepad++ - it will automaticaly create the directory %APPDATA%\Notepad++ with all the needed files in it.

• Once again, i appreciate all your help Paulius. Either i'm not explaining it properly, or you're not understading the issue. The whole point of using a .zip version is that (1) you could run the software without using an installer which leaves residues in the registry. (2) the full-function software runs only from the folder that contains the uncompressed files (3) extra folders are not created elsewhere (e.g. the Application Data folder) so my point is there is no folder in the Application Data folder named Notepad++ even after running notepad++. try downloading and using the .zip version and you'll see what i mean. of course in your case the notepad++ folder is already there in the Application Data folder because you have used the installer version (setup.exe).  i really hope that was clear.

• Don HO
        Don HO
        2005-12-01

If you want to keep all config files in your Npp directory, just restore your "doLocalConf.xml",
        Then copy the "toolbarIcons.xml" in the Npp directory. Make sure the path of your icons is correct (in my case) in "toolbarIcons.xml" :
        <Theme name = "Demo" pathPrefix = "E:\Sources\notepad++\PowerEditor\bin\newIcons\&quot;>

It works for me. There's no reason that it doesn't work for you.

Don