Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Synaptics touchpad ignored

2. Help
Rainer
2012-05-29
2013-07-26
  • Rainer
    Rainer
    2012-05-29

Hi all,

I'm using npp 6.1.2 on my Dell Vostro Notebook with latest working synaptic driver 15.3.xx. Problem is, scrolling in npp is ignored. All other apps are wokring fine with.
    I recall, there was in one version of npp a bugfix of it, but it still does not work here…

Sys: win7 64, npp 6.1.2, synaptics latest working driver

Btw, thx for this great app. :)

Regards,
    Rainer

• sky
    sky
    2012-06-24

I got the same issue with the Synaptics Touchpad of my Asus U36 Laptop: It looks like Synaptics Driver newer than  v15.3.32.1 can't scroll in notepad++. I tried v15.3.38.2, v15.3.43.0, v15.3.45.0 and v16.0.3.0 -> they all show the scrolling mouse-cursor, but don't actually scroll the notepad++ window. Surprisingly scrolling in all other tested applications does work as it is supposed to.

Perhaps notepad++ doesnn't correctly handle the scrolling-commands (the newer Synaptics driver use)!?

• Rainer
    Rainer
    2012-07-04

Just tested 6.1.4; scrolling does not work.

• Anonymous
    2012-08-03

Same problem, Notepad++ 6.1.5, Lenovo T510, Synaptics 16.1.1.0 driver.

• Joel
    Joel
    2012-08-04

I have the same problem on my Dell XPS 14 (Synaptics driver 15.3.45.91). Oddly, horizontal scrolling works perfectly, but vertical scrolling does not.

• KoHa
    KoHa
    2012-08-06

Having the same problem here with HP Elitebook 8570w and Synaptics 16.1.6.2… Are there no solutions yet as this is kind of annoying? ;)

• Binyan
    Binyan
    2012-08-13

I just realized that chaosinacan is right, horizontal scrolling does work, it is just vertical that fails to function.  If it was flipped I could live with that since I normally have npp word wrap.

• Joel
    Joel
    2012-08-19

I found a workaround:

Run regedit and go to HKLM\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh. Add a new DWORD value and call it "UseScrollCursor". Set it to 0. Apparently Notepad++ and some other programs have issues with whatever the Synaptics driver is doing to render the cursor.

• l429221
    l429221
    2012-08-27

Confirm vertical scroll doesn't work.
    Horizontal scroll does work.
    (chaosinacan's workaround IS working!)

HP Dm4. Win 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit , NotePad++ 6.1.6.

• Anonymous
    2012-09-07

Also can confirm:
    - Horizontal scrolling working
    - Vertical scrolling not working
    - chaosinacan's workaround works

Lenovo Thinkpad W530, Windows 7 Premium 64bit, Notepad++ 6.1.6

• N Self
    N Self
    2012-09-14

Problem and workaround confirmed:
    - No vertical scrolling
    - Good horizontal scrolling
    - Workaround works (required a restart for me)

Lenovo Thinkpad T430, Windows 7 Premium 64bit, Notepad++ 6.1.6

• Anonymous
    2012-10-13

Problem and WA confirmed.

Some additional background. Scrolling was working fine on my system (HP EB 8560w) but then I uninstalled the mouse driver (for another problem) and re-installed it. There's where I started seeing this problem. Scrolling worked fine in most applications, but some of them such as npp it was not working.

HP EliteBook 8560w, Windows7 x64 Ultimate, Notepad++ 5.9.8

chaosincan, you are the man! I was going crazy over this. Thanks,

• clark
    clark
    2012-10-23

Quoting Chaosinacan
    "

2012-08-18 18:26:55 PDT
    I found a workaround:

Run regedit and go to HKLM\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh. Add a new DWORD value and call it "UseScrollCursor". Set it to 0. Apparently Notepad++ and some other programs have issues with whatever the Synaptics driver is doing to render the cursor."

It does fix the scrolling issue but now the mouse pointer stays the same, it doesnt change to scrolling image that you get.

Well, i think this can be mangeable, the vertical scroll seemed a bigger pain. thanks.

• Yegor Wienski
    Yegor Wienski
    2012-11-30

problem and workaround confirmed:
    - no vertical scrolling
    - horizontal scrolling works
    - workaround works, but it causes no scrolling icon

hp probook 4530s, Notepad++ v6.2.2

Last edit: Yegor Wienski 2012-11-30
  • Don HO
    Don HO
    2013-01-07

Thank you for your bug reports.

After some googls with "Synaptics", I saw there's scrolling problem with other applications (for example VS Studio), and it seems the source of problem come from Synaptics' driver. I really don't think it is a Notepad++ bug, scince Notepad++ has never problem with any mouse device.

What I can do is to check if there is impact from Notepad++.
    Could you launch SciTE (download: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/scintilla/wscite323.zip?download) then tell me if the scroll works with your Synaptics? SciTE uses the same edit component (Scitilla) as Notepad++.

Thanx
    Don

Last edit: Don HO 2013-01-07
    • Mr.Lodar
      Mr.Lodar
      2013-01-14

It works well on SciTE, and not work on Notepad++.

vertical scrolling on Notepad++ just not work, but horizontal scrolling works strange like left/right arrow key.

Notepad++ 6.2.3, Synaptics driver version v16.2.21, Windows XP SP3, Acer TM4750G

• Steve Hornby
    Steve Hornby
    2013-01-23

THIS IS AWESOME! THANK YOU Chaosinacan!
    I've been so annoyed by that stupid cursor w/ Synaptics touchpads... It's clearly a dumb legacy setting by Synaptics at the source of this problem.

• NP++ Not scrolling (just recently)
    • AND the Steam client not scrolling
    • AND VMware virtual machines not scrolling!
    • For YEARS now!

Paste the following text into a new .REG file and merge it into your PC. After that, go into the Synaptics control panel and click "Reset Devices". No reboot. (USE AT YOUR OWN RISK - but I've had zero problems!) Enjoy! - Steve Hornby

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh]
    "UseScrollCursor"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTPEnh]
    "UseScrollCursor"=dword:00000000

Last edit: Steve Hornby 2013-01-23
  • Steve Hornby
    Steve Hornby
    2013-01-23

Here's a link to the PasteBin REG file I created:
    http://pastebin.com/GufGMfGe

Same file, with code highlighting.
    -Steve

• arckex
    arckex
    2013-04-07

All scrolling worked with SciTE out of the box. Notepad++ required the reg change AND a reboot, but now it's all working dandy.

• caitoo0o
    caitoo0o
    2013-07-26

Thank you so much, Joel! Workaround working weyyoooo!