run external tools problem

2006-01-03
2012-11-13
  • Hello everybody,

i need to run an external tool which needs the filename without the extensions as input. I have read the help file but all the env vars include the file extensions.

anyone got a solution?

• Paulius
      Paulius
      2006-01-03

Notepad++ doesn't support this, not the current version (who knows - it might be implemented in the future).

However, there is something you can do right now. You can write a shell (batch) script:
      [command] [params] %~n1

Now, in Notepad++ - run the batch script and pass full path to it.

Note: i'm not sure if this would work for older versions of windows, but i know for sure, that this works on Windows XP (you just have to enable command extensions - "cmd /?" for more information).

• bst
        bst
        2006-01-04

hint: using a shell (batch) script gives you the added advantage of being able to put a "pause" command at the end of the script - thus letting any messages of your external tool visible until you hit any key - useful for any command line tool like compiler, linker etc.

Bernhard

• Thanks for the reply, I will try it.

• Thanks, worked like a charm :)

• Kai Fiebach
      Kai Fiebach
      2006-01-17

After switching to Notepad++ after using Crimson Editor over years, I have to say that Notepad++ is great and surpasses Crimson in almost every regard. The only thing I am missing is the ability to *capture the output* of an external program call so that you do not have to leave the Editor to read it. Especially if you work with a dynamic language (like Perl or Python) it saves a lot of time to have a little extra window as part of the Editor where you can watch the text output once you compile the program. Any chance to implement an output capture in window in Notetab++?

• bst
        bst
        2006-01-18

Do you know the old DOS versions of the Borland compilers? They had a nice little interface for external tool programs, with which you could not only capture the screen output, but as well parse it (if given in a certain format) to recognize line and column of anerror message (for example).

Those results would then be displayed in a separate editor window at the screen bottom. Clicking on one of those captured messages would bring the editor to the specified line and column.

Ah, ok. I should stop dreaming now :-) Implementing this feature would be really nice, but I cannot say how much work this would be.

Bernhard